Talk

Advanced search

New Vacuum cleaner required, don't know what to try next!

(8 Posts)
cungryhow Fri 12-Apr-13 14:33:57

Currently have two dysons, one old pull along and a newer upright, both done a reasonable amount of service. Both have given up the ghost. Bought a new Vax upright but its been put together with spit and is going back as it won't now remain upright blush

Can anyone recommend something suitable for small 4bed house with carpets upstairs and wood floor downstairs? I am really disappointed about the Vax as it was powerful and light and although it did feel really flimsy.

Many thanks!

Pancakeflipper Fri 12-Apr-13 14:36:34

Sebo or Miele. It's a tough choice but it's between those 2.

FlyLikeABird Fri 12-Apr-13 15:58:50

I've just bought my first Miele (S8310) and it's wonderful. I thought it would be too heavy but it just scoots along behind behaving itself.

Had a Dyson upright before (fine but heavy and awkward) and a cheepo bagless cylinder (a PITA to clean the filter every time to keep it sucking).

Love my Miele and it stores really well, there's a slot on the side to keep the tube thing upright and it stores really small. Amazing suction, great on carpet and feels kind of cushioned on hard floors. Other machines felt a but scratchy if you know what I mean.

sparkle9 Fri 12-Apr-13 16:04:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StuntNun Fri 12-Apr-13 16:09:43

I have the Miele animal one (we have a dog and a cat) and it's equally good on carpets, rugs, laminate and vinyl. The only downside is having to remember to buy bags again but then I always hated emptying the Dyson every bloomin' time I used it.

PigletJohn Sat 13-Apr-13 14:42:59

for carpets, an upright is better, but a really good upright has more works and is much more expensive than a really good cylinder.

If you have hard floors downstairs, where people trample in most grime, I'd look for a Miele or Bosch cylinder first, they top the board in Which tests.

We have a Sebo in my commercial premises, and I consider it rather heavy, and not such a good microfilter.

happyyonisleepyyoni Sun 14-Apr-13 08:29:23

Just got a roomba and it is fab! Only £300 and it does the hoovering by itself. It picks up better than my old dyson too!

toolittletimetoomuchtodo Sun 14-Apr-13 08:39:00

Henry we have tried many a vac and this seems to be the best. Wish I bought years ago as would have saved a fortune.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now