Talk

Advanced search

If I were to buy a food processor...

(9 Posts)
EasyFromNowOn Thu 11-Apr-13 17:53:49

what could I use it for?

My hand mixer has died, so I am debating whether to get a new mixer & separate blender jug, because I can't find ours since we moved, or just get a food processor which has the blender jug with it.

I used the hand mixer for making cakes, but it was a bit useless for bread, so I'd like something which is better with dough.

I've got about £100 to spend, so I am not talking Kenwood Chefs here smile but does anyone have recommendations?

WallyBantersYoniBox Fri 12-Apr-13 00:08:03

I use my food processor for:

crumble topping
cookie dough
Blending soup
Whisking egg whites
Cupcakes and muffins
Grating veg for coleslaw and pickled cabbage etc
Making breadcrumbs with left over crusts
Chopping onions and garlic
Homemade stuffing
Grating cheese
Juicing
Chopping nuts

It has loads of attachments.

EasyFromNowOn Fri 12-Apr-13 08:13:22

I'm very tempted. I realised that what will probably happen is I will use it for a while then it will end up taking up space in the cupboard, but I think I can live with that!

LifeofPo Fri 12-Apr-13 08:14:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGooseLaidAChocolateEgg Fri 12-Apr-13 09:00:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mynxie Fri 12-Apr-13 09:03:49

The secret is to leave it on the work top if you possibly can, once it goes into the cupboard it's doomed! I use mine mostly for cakes and pasta sauces - great for getting any number of veg past unsuspecting kids! I also grate loads of cheese at a time and then freeze it - it can be used without defrosting for loads of things.

WallyBantersYoniBox Fri 12-Apr-13 09:30:01

The off putting thing is having to wash it constantly if you have a "cook off" day as I do most Sundays when I stock up the freezer.

But if you make sure you have a robust one that allows the attachments and bowl to go into the dishwasher it does help.

EasyFromNowOn Fri 12-Apr-13 11:15:17

oh, Polter, that's not what I wanted to hear!! I want something to help me make nice pizza dough, mainly, because it just isn't right when I do it by hand.

maybe I can swing a processor and a stand mixer. I have room in the cupboard!! I do like the sound of have loads of ready grated cheese...

Mynxie Fri 12-Apr-13 11:46:24

Have to admit I use mine for pizza dough and it seems to work out fine. I put the whole bowl in the airing cupboard for an hour or so to prove and then just click it back on the processor when it's ready for another quick whizz before using. I've made Italian type bread in it as well, though havnt tried a sandwich loaf........yet!

I think it's the size of it on the worktop reminding me how much money I spent that prompts me to use it more than I would do if it was hidden away in a cupboard. I can understand it would be lovely to have the workspace back again though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now