Talk

Advanced search

How do I get rid of fishy smell polluting microwave

(17 Posts)
Minimammoth Wed 10-Apr-13 19:06:51

After cooking smoked haddock in microwave, a normal wipe over does not get rid of smell. DH now complaining of haddock suffused porridge. It would not go down well on master chef! Help!

crikeybadger Wed 10-Apr-13 19:10:00

Try putting half a lemon in a cup with a dash of water and cooking it for a couple of minutes.

That might do the trick.

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 10-Apr-13 19:10:48

Lemon juice in a mug, with some water, boil in microwave till it gets steamy, wipe off with dry cloth.

Also, fish in a microwave bag or tub with vents = less smell. Works for broccoli, sprouts etc too!

Minimammoth Wed 10-Apr-13 19:14:38

Thanks for the lemon tip, I will give it a go. RCM, I always cover with cling film and leave vents, I think the fact that it is smoked must double the potency or something. Will report back.

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 10-Apr-13 19:45:44

Mini - sorry I'm not being clear! Microwave bags (or tubs) with special steam vents on them reduce the fish smell hugely ( I love smoked fish, hate the lingering smell!), a lot less steam escapes the vents, so less smell too. Like everything else these days - available on Amazon grin.

Minimammoth Wed 10-Apr-13 19:49:58

They sound good, I will seek out and try.

Minimammoth Wed 10-Apr-13 19:51:12

Just putting in the lemon.

MandragoraWurzelstock Wed 10-Apr-13 19:54:31

I just tend to wash the inside of the microwave with washing up liquid, turn it off first, dry it with kitchen roll and leave it open for a few hours.

Minimammoth Wed 10-Apr-13 19:56:16

Great, leaving open might help, thanks.

Minimammoth Wed 10-Apr-13 19:57:56

Lemon done. So the test will the breakfast porridge. smile

PigletJohn Wed 10-Apr-13 21:16:13

cleaning the inside of the microwave - it is very much easier if you lie it on its back, especially to clean the roof of the cavity if it has a grill or fan. Unplug first.

Mine have the works on the right hand side, with a plastic window for the waves to come through - don't let water get in there, but the window must always be perfectly clean, or it will burn through.

if there are no works in the back, I think you can scrub it out.

the vents at the rear may also need cleaning.

Minimammoth Thu 11-Apr-13 21:23:44

No fishy porridge this morning. It worked. Thank you.

RawCoconutMacaroon Thu 11-Apr-13 22:30:44

grin that's good!

zzzzz Fri 12-Apr-13 01:50:13

I do the same but with teaspoon of vinegar in tea cup of water. Boil then wipe with kitchen roll.

Minimammoth Fri 12-Apr-13 10:53:01

I must write down all these tips. The wisdom of mumsnet.

Numberlock Fri 12-Apr-13 10:57:15

Hmmm fishy smell makes me wonder if Brian's been round to your house...

zipzap Fri 12-Apr-13 11:12:14

oh i don't know - if heston has snail porridge then I can see a market for smoked haddock porridge, all chef-ily presented as a starter!

not helpful sorry grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: