Talk

Advanced search

Fan oven or ordinary oven?

(8 Posts)
Consils Sun 07-Apr-13 13:01:35

My builder is getting me an oven and he recommends a fan oven. I don't know the difference but I don't think that I have had a fan oven before. Any thoughts?

nextphase Sun 07-Apr-13 13:45:48

fan ovens are supposed to have a very even heat, so all the shelves cook at the same rate.
Gas ovens seem to heat up very quickly, but having lived with all combos of gas and electric hob and oven, I'd go for gas hobs and fan oven every time (never had induction hob tho)

PigletJohn Sun 07-Apr-13 14:00:52

Unless you are having a gas oven, go for a fan. It blows the hot air around the oven, so you get the same regular heat on all shelves, and you can knock a few minutes off the cooking time.

BTW beware of appliance brands from kitchen outfitters or builders merchants, they are not as good as Bosch etc and are often just thrown in as a discount.

NotGoodNotBad Sun 07-Apr-13 15:21:23

I wouldn't have fan-only as the temperature is the same throughout, so you can't cook things needing different temperatures at the same time. Go for a multi-function one that has both fan and standard cooking, plus grill if you need it.

fussychica Sun 07-Apr-13 16:06:49

I've got an AEG fan/standard/grill oven - it's superb. I never use the standard cooking to be honest. It's always quicker than the cooking instructions for fan ovens so I did get caught out at first but no problem now I know.

Rattitude Sun 07-Apr-13 16:09:49

Whatever you do, make sure you get a pyrolitic oven: no issue with cleaning your oven then.

PigletJohn is right: make sure you select a decent oven and not just any that is recommended by your builder.

Svrider Sun 07-Apr-13 16:20:18

Fan oven definetly

Consils Sun 07-Apr-13 18:23:12

Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now