Talk

Advanced search

Aga owners - going on holiday

(11 Posts)
hanahsaunt Sat 06-Apr-13 11:47:28

We're about to go away for a week - hoorah! - and reluctant to leave the aga on full blast whilst away given the crippling cost of oil. The manual suggests that Very Bad Things may happen if we even look at the control panel, far less touch it but really? Can't we turn it down to 1 and whack it back up when we get back?

All advice welcomed smile.

hanahsaunt Sat 06-Apr-13 19:09:42

Bump

ohforfoxsake Sat 06-Apr-13 19:12:05

I'd turn it right down. Mine is gas and I was advised to turn it down to the pilot light.
HTH.

Doilooklikeatourist Sat 06-Apr-13 19:34:44

We turn ours up and down whenever we want to .
It's reasonably easy to relight , if like us you turn it down too far and it goes out ! Oops !
Can you book the service for when you get back ?
It has to be out for that .
Quick question to other oil Aga owners ... The temperature on ours is never hot enough , and it needs servicing 4 times a year shock
Anyone else finding the same ?

hanahsaunt Sat 06-Apr-13 19:39:50

Fab. Thank you. We'll turn it down but not off.

We've only been in our house 6 months and have had it serviced already (when it went out because we ran out of oil ... something not to repeat!). Ours is v good at maintaining it's temp; seems to approximate to what it says in the book so 240ish, 180ish, 110ish and 50ish. Why do you need it serviced 4 times a year? The lovely man who came to our rescue a couple of months ago said 2 max. Is there some kind of obstruction in the oil flow? Does the tank need serviced?

Doilooklikeatourist Sat 06-Apr-13 19:48:55

We are seriously considering converting ours to electricity as it is driving me mad !
Apparently new EU regulations about the amount of sulphur in the oil makes it more sticky .
I even phoned our local Aga shop , and they recommend 4 services a year ( gulp )
Ours is a 2 oven Aga , which also does our hot water .

ohforfoxsake Sat 06-Apr-13 19:53:07

Is yours expensive, given it does the hot water too?

I have a solid fuel, converted to gas which does hot water. It's costs about £200 a month so it goes off in the spring until next winter.

Doilooklikeatourist Sat 06-Apr-13 20:30:15

It's expensive .
We spend £200 a month on oil .
We have a new oil fired central heating system , that we use very sparingly , an oil fired stove ( log burner lookalike ) that is on low since about November .
Hope to be able to not use these soon , but the Aga stayed on last summer as it was so awful .
We've spent at least £2500 on oil in the last 12 months ( which is why we're thinking of converting to electricity )

Selks Sat 06-Apr-13 20:33:53

Wow. Glad I don't have one. <unhelpful>

Doilooklikeatourist Sat 06-Apr-13 20:53:59

We do live in a lovely rural area .
The only bad thing is there is no mains gas .
Or mains drainage
Or street lights

mumtoxii Sat 06-Apr-13 20:56:01

I have a four oven oil-fired Aga and only have it serviced every nine months. We use "Glowmax" oil which has an additive especially for Agas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now