Talk

Advanced search

Mice stress

(8 Posts)
Piemother Fri 05-Apr-13 23:23:05

Just that really. I rent a Victorian terrace that I was utterly in love with. Now I'm just stressed. I first saw a mouse before Xmas. The letting agent dutifully sent a pest control chap who put black boxes with poison in the down. The mouse didn't touch them but I didn't see it again until few weeks back. Mouse chap has been back, again the mouse won't eat the poison so he's put something else down that looks like plasticine. Before I only saw then down stairs but I have just had one running around my bedroom. I am so distressed now, dd2 is snoring in her cot and the foot of my bed. Dd1 is her her bed that's low to the ground. I am so freaked out now about the mice running over the kids.
This is making me mental I can't sleep and I'm obsessively vacuuming and disinfecting because I think even a tiny crumb will make it worse.
Please talk me down!

lolalotta Sat 06-Apr-13 06:56:27

We lived in the country in an old cottage and had this problem. Don't bother with poison, if/ when the mouse eats the stuff they haul them selves off to die then stink the house out as they rot and sometimes it can be difficult to find them to throw them out!!!! We bought traps from B&Q that were easy peasy to set (black and yellow ones) and put peanut butter and a tiny piece of chocolate button in each one. It works a treat! The only thing you need to be wary of is finding spots to put the traps where the kids can't reach. They tend to run along skirting boards so we found spots behind cupboards/ under the freestanding bath/ behind the oven etc, place my little one couldn't fiddle with them. Good luck and keep the bait fresh too!

notfluffy Sat 06-Apr-13 07:02:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tigresswoods Sat 06-Apr-13 07:04:58

As the first poster says, traditional snap trap with peanut butter or chocolate as bait. Only way.

Good luck.

MrsJamin Sat 06-Apr-13 07:08:08

Vic terrace here. Used snap traps and filled holes in floorboards with wire wool and expanding foam- I think your landlord should be doing more to deal with the problem.

rubyrubyruby Sat 06-Apr-13 07:08:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Piemother Sat 06-Apr-13 09:32:18

I would love a cat but the house has no cat flap and the back door is double glazed so couldn't install one. I don't fancy the litter tray inside.
The main bloke at my letting agent has been away this week so I've had no one to nag but he's back Monday so he's in for it!
Mouse man has said the agency won't fill the holes until the mice have gone so I'm a stuck.
I'm reassured that the poison doesn't always work though I was so confused they weren't eating it!
Mouse man is back Thursday with snap traps. I didn't want to do this but I am over it! Poster on my earlier thread said I soon would be - thru were right!

zumo Sat 06-Apr-13 12:25:32

WE get them when it turns colder as they come in for a warn, we set Little Nipper traps for a few months at a time, caught 10 one week!, leave traps set in out of the way places, block access holes with wire wool and just set routine traps, you will beat them, its much safer and humane to trap rather than poision

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now