Talk

Advanced search

How to turn okay into oooooh

(5 Posts)
putyourhatonsweetie Wed 03-Apr-13 11:18:56

Hey hey

Wondering if you lovely lot can help me with my house.... Thanks to barking but wonderful flylady it is basically clean and tidy most of the time and I more or less stick to routines etc.

However you would never walk in and think oooooh now the hatsweeties have a nice home. What makes a house really nice? What about the garden (ours is veg patch, plastic garden toys, lawn and some space for biking round like loons.)

Probably relevant that we are renting so can't do big changes, also poss relevant that we are in sunny Queensland.

tips welcome!

newpup Wed 03-Apr-13 11:50:05

Hello. People tell me that my house is beautiful, I love it but think other people have homes just as nice or better but I do get a lot of compliments so..... I think that the most important thing is that it is full of things I love!! Lovely photos of my DDs, art that Dh and I love, colours, fabric that I really love. Beautiful wood, because I love wood! Our walls are very plain, cream or biscuit and the focus is the furniture and things in it. I hate, hate, clutter and tat ( ie. lots of ornaments and nic nacs yuk). I like warm colours and the odd unusual item ( I have an unusual wooden art piece in the hall).

That is it really, love what you put in it, it is your home!

putyourhatonsweetie Wed 03-Apr-13 11:55:39

mmmm I think fabric might help, because it is so hot I have avoided that, going for clear and uncluttered, but sometimes I look round and think it looks like other people live here iykwim.

AdoraBell Wed 03-Apr-13 12:18:29

I 've recently made some changes. We have pale walls too and I've cleared the tatgrin and now have a nice -not expensive- sculpture on one cabinet in the lounge. Coffee table has a vase filled with bright flowers -fake because I get hayfever- with another vase in a corner, with a tall plant in the opposite corner. Again, it's a case of having things you love without obscuring them with clutter, and I get the colour from the flowers.

My house also looks like someone else lives here but in my case it looks like hoards of marauding invaders.

GrendelsMum Wed 03-Apr-13 19:33:49

Our house looks very good, though I say it myself. Very tidy, very clear surfaces, pieces of art and ceramics that we love. We always give each other art and ceramics for presents, so we have quite a collection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now