Talk

Advanced search

Help ! I've just welded a jumper onto my brand new steam generator iron and have no idea how to remove it !!!

(5 Posts)
FOURBOYSUNDER6 Wed 03-Apr-13 10:23:00

Gutted ! I have never been a domestic goddess .... I do love my new steam generator iron though and it has been life changing on the domestic front !!!! I have a mountain of white shirts to iron and daren't touch any more (just marked one!) until this welded mess removed from iron but no idea how to do it without ruining the iron ! Any advice gratefully received !!!?

PigletJohn Wed 03-Apr-13 11:38:24

this is quite common when the iron is too hot for the fabric and melts the fibres, usually on acrylics.

you can get an iron cleaning stick from hardware shops or the laundry aisle of the supermart. It is rather like a lip-balm stick and I suspect it is lard.

Try to avoid scratching the iron with a scraper. IMO stainless soleplates are fairly hardy, but you will spoil the polish. The iron makers may have some advice in their instruction book, or you can try their website or phone them.

PigletJohn Wed 03-Apr-13 11:39:51

p.s.

sometimes you can get it off by getting the iron hot enough to melt it, then vigorously rubbing it on a heat-resistant material like an old, pure cotton, towel.

Stiefeliblue Wed 03-Apr-13 11:41:55

try ovencleaner,the same thing happened to me.the melted fabric came off without leaving any residue

FOURBOYSUNDER6 Wed 03-Apr-13 14:07:49

Thank you both so much ! Never even knew specific products were sold !!! Fingers crossed !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now