Talk

Advanced search

wasps

(7 Posts)
mamacoffee Sun 31-Mar-13 23:26:34

Hi

Every summer we start to get wasps coming in our bedroom in the spare room at my mum's. I don't know how they get in, they get in even when the windows are closed. There is an air vent in the wall but thats closed most of the time.

What affordable thing can my mum do to stop this? I'm staying with her tonight and there is a wasp righy now driving me and itself mad as it buzzes round trying to escape! ! Im worried about cost of an expert or pest control, mum or me even can't afford to pay much.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 31-Mar-13 23:36:53

We had a similar thing in our lat house - wed randomly find wasps in the upstairs rooms when all windows and doors had been closed.

We later spotted a nest in the eaves outside, and got the council in the spray it. After treatment, we found sleepy dying and lost wasps walking round the landing, obviously having come from the treated nest in the lift/eaves.

We called our local council pest control department and it was only about £40. Look for evidence of a nest outside and give them a ring either way.

Good luck - my husband is terrified of the little blighted!

Ponders Sun 31-Mar-13 23:46:08

we had a nest in the roof one year; they didn't come into the house, they abandoned the nest at the end of the summer & didn't come back. the one you have in now could well be a queen - if you can find a way to let it out it will bugger off & start a new nest elsewhere smile

def worth contacting your mum's council though. good luck

Oreocrumbs Sun 31-Mar-13 23:53:47

I would get the council out to check. My DM had this but they were masonary bees (look like wasps, much thinner than ordinary bees), and you are not allowed to do anything to them.

DM wasn't charged by the council as they didn't need to do anything, so worth while as a forst port of call. If they are wasps best let the council get on with it, it isn't something I would fancy doing myself not a fan of wasps.

Showtime Mon 01-Apr-13 17:35:52

Agree with calling in Council - their costume and gear is really impressive, not a good idea to DIY without it.

PigletJohn Mon 01-Apr-13 18:08:44

they might be in the loft. They especially like leaky roofs, because they gnaw the rotten wood to make the nests.

When it's too cold for them to fly, you can spray the nest from a distance, otherwise get the council in.

Some people tell you not to be scared of wasps. They're the ones who've never been stung. Don't flap at them, of course.

mamacoffee Mon 01-Apr-13 21:02:54

Thank you all. Mums going to phone council tomorrow. Relieved it shouldn't cost too much!

Interesting point re loft piglet john bc the room is next to the loft.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now