Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning a really dirty bathroom

(25 Posts)
PenguinBear Sun 31-Mar-13 21:17:13

Anyone got any tips on how to clean a filthy bath and tiles? There is orange stuff on the grout and rim of the bath. Plus black stuff round the seal... Tips please!

matilda101 Sun 31-Mar-13 21:25:42

Bleach, bleach and more bleach! Leave it on, neat, where you can and then wash it off after an our-it usually does the trick!

lilydee Sun 31-Mar-13 21:27:05

The black stuff on the seal will never go just a heads up, no matter how much you try, your best off removing it and replacing it. The

StarfishEnterprise Sun 31-Mar-13 21:27:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

redwellybluewelly Sun 31-Mar-13 21:29:25

Some of it may be limescale, we use Viakel to get rid of limescale.

lilydee Sun 31-Mar-13 21:29:52

The black stuff on the seal will never go just a heads up, no matter how much you try, your best off removing the sealer and replacing it. The Orange stuff, if it's the same as it is in our bathroom, I suggest anti bacterial soap and warm water and just scrub. It's worked for me in the past.

Sunshinewithshowers Sun 31-Mar-13 21:29:52

This is amazing, leave it on for 10 mins, got rid of all black mould on the grouting just by rinsing afterwards with the shower.

m.tesco.com/mt/www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264514881

BumpingFuglies Sun 31-Mar-13 21:31:13

Second what lily said, will never go. You need to replace sealant.

Orange stuff will go with bleach or mould/mildew remover. The latter contains chlorine. Use a toothbrush or small scrubbing brush to work it in.

To get tiles sparkling with no water marks, use Astonish paste. Works brilliantly and very cheap. Also on bath but don't rub too hard.

StarfishEnterprise Sun 31-Mar-13 21:34:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pud1 Sun 31-Mar-13 21:38:49

I got rid of the black stuff on the seal of my bath. I squirted bleach all over the seals then squashed loo roll into it and squirted more bleach unroll the loo roll was saturated with bleach and left it for A few days. When lifted the loo roll it was all nice and white

ninjasquirrel Sun 31-Mar-13 21:42:34

Try strong limescale remover on the orange stuff as it may be mineral rather than mould. Do not use just after or before using bleach as it could have unpleasant results (chlorine gas?) if they are mixed.

PenguinBear Sun 31-Mar-13 21:57:17

I didn't have any limescale remover... I wanted to do it tonight so I used bleach and an old toothbrush. I did before and after pictures so I could see the difference. All the orange stuff has gone but the black stuff hasn't. I may put some beat bleach on the grouting tomorrow and bleah it white as its sort of grey under the orange. I did scrub the odd bit of grouting and it came up beautifully but it will need another going over tomorrow. The bathroom is almost 40 years old but I've been told thy this orange stuff has built up over the past 2 years.

openerofjars Sun 31-Mar-13 22:09:42

You want this stuff:

www.lakeland.co.uk/20284/HG-Mould-Remover

It DOES get rid of the black goo and yuck on the sealant.

QuiteOldGal Mon 01-Apr-13 07:11:43

I had the orange stuff on the bottom of my polyester shower curtains and soaked them in oust kettle descaler for about 20 mins then put them in washing machine and they have come out looking wonderful, all orange gone, so I am going to put descaler on the orange stuff on my bathroom tiles.

Not had so much joy with the black stuff though bleach and mould remover does make it fade but doesn't seem to get rid of completely, so I will now tried with the squashed loo roll left on it smile

VestaCurry Mon 01-Apr-13 07:15:57

Yes, the hagesan mould remover is worth a try on the stubborn black mould. It's removed it when nothing else has IME but it's not a guarantee.

Bonsoir Mon 01-Apr-13 07:41:44

HG Mould Spray (any good ironmongers) will get ride of the orange mould and some of the black mould.

Viakal to clean taps, tiles, bath etc where there is limescale. You will need to scrub away!

MinimalistMommi Mon 01-Apr-13 08:59:48

Second Viakal on bath, great for removing stubborn limescale. It really does work, bought my bath up like new! Just leave on for five minutes, wipe and rinse off.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Mon 01-Apr-13 09:20:37

White vinegar and a toothbrush. Leave it rinse, job done.
Some of the mould will come off with that as well as the line scale.

PenguinBear Mon 01-Apr-13 09:53:52

Can I mix white vinegar and bleach? I bleached last night and there may be some residue on the tiles etc

iamstitch Mon 01-Apr-13 10:18:11

I second the HG mould remover. We moved into a house that had been empty for 2 years and was disgusting. Used this and the black mould disappeared! Amazing stuff grin

MrsLettuce Mon 01-Apr-13 10:24:53

You should NEVER mix bleach with anything. Vinegar is one of the most dangerous IIRC.

Cillet Bang bathroom stuff is fabulous, it 'bleaches' stains, removers limescale and melts all gunk - spray reasonably liberally, wipe a wee bit so it properly spread out and leave for a bit. A good rub with a (microfibre) cloth or sponge, a rummage in tricky corners with and old toothbrush and all will be clean.

MrsLettuce Mon 01-Apr-13 10:25:56

FIne to use vinegar before / after bleach, just rinse well and keep a window open for safetys sake.

BeCool Tue 02-Apr-13 11:30:35

I descaled my bathroom taps over the weekend using white vinegar and cotton wool. I wrapped vinegar soaked cotton wool around taps and left it. Scrubbed hard bits with an old toothbrush - all came up brilliantly.

SilveryMoon Tue 02-Apr-13 20:30:30

Just wanted to come on and say that I tried the bleach covered toilet roll packed onto the sealing around my bath (had got a bit yuky from baby toys attached to the edge etc and got the black mould) and it worked!
I squirted bleach around the rim, packed down some loo roll over it, re-coated in bleach and left all day. Dp took it off because he wanted a shower, and it's gone. All gone. No grey where it's just been bleached to a different colour, gone.
Thanks for the tips grin

pud1 Wed 03-Apr-13 14:42:10

i am pleased it worked grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now