Talk

Advanced search

Black granite type work surface disaster

(6 Posts)
Justfeckingdoit Sun 31-Mar-13 15:51:11

I've never really liked it, but at least it was shiney when occasionally clean.

There may have been some wine involved and an over enthusiastic cleaning incident and it's now distinctly grey.

Not quite sure what I might have cleaned it with but <looks around kitchen desperatly> it could only be some Mr Muscle, which I don't normally use, but I am sure I have used without making black things grey before <checks cat, nope, that's still black>

So what I have I cleaned it with? toothpaste and a pumice stone?

And how do I go back from 50 shades of grey to one shade of black?

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 31-Mar-13 15:59:00

did you bleached it?
<runs>

Justfeckingdoit Sun 31-Mar-13 16:32:32

Crickey, I hope not. Not sure we actually have bleach in the house.

What have I done and can I fix it or am I doomed to off grey surfaces and a DH that is like this hmm

ggirl Sun 31-Mar-13 17:00:02

if it started with a polished shiny surface then you could try and use seomthing abrasive like a scouring pad to remove whatever is making it grey

I use a metal scourer (advice from supplier) on mine to get rid of limescale, needs to be dry first but it scrapes off and leaves a lovely shiny surface.

cjel Sun 31-Mar-13 17:14:53

I always bleached mine and it was ok. Have you tried astonish and gentle scourer and then a daily granite polisher?

PacificDogwood Sun 31-Mar-13 17:21:09

Is it actual granit? Or some other stone? Or composite??
AFAIK acids ie vinegar or red wine can discolour marble and light coloured granit.
Abrasives will make a high-gloss surface look dull and make a black greyish, non?

Can you ask your kitchen installer or whoever supplied you worktop?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now