Talk

Advanced search

My house smells like cat

(2 Posts)
AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 29-Mar-13 13:14:59

My parents came for a rare visit the other day. The first thing my DM said as she walked through the door was "your house smells of cat".
I haven't been well (that's why they visited) so I admit any housework has gone out of the window.
I'm not aware of the cat having sprayed anywhere so I can't focus on one particular area.
What are the best ways to make the place fresh and lovely? I've had windows open all morning even though it's freezing. What else? Help!

erowid Fri 29-Mar-13 15:23:23

It probably just general musty cat smells that accumulate over the winter with the windows not being opened as often. Fabrics and soft furnishings are usually the culprits holding on to smells so any curtains, cushions, sofa covers, cat beds or throws can go in for a wash (check washing instructions before putting into the washing machine). Sprinkle some bicarb or shake n vac onto carpets and rugs then hoover.

If the litter tray is to blame, you can get ones with a hood and a door like this which does help with the smell smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now