Talk

Advanced search

What does your 6-9 yr old do around the house?

(7 Posts)
OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Thu 28-Mar-13 11:08:45

I'm devising a list for lazy DD to get her to do more to help.

She can easily do things like dusting, sorting laundry, tidy the living room...

What jobs do your kids do to help?

AdoraBell Thu 28-Mar-13 12:12:16

They used to do dusting, making their own beds, keeping their own space, as in bedrooms and play area tidy, emptying DW, vacuuming some times. They are now 11 though, and well into Kevin territory, so all that's gone out the window. I'm trying to retrieve it.

Imlostwithoutahope Thu 28-Mar-13 22:13:51

Mine had a list to earn pocket money.
They had money for making bed each day, keeping bedroom tidy, emptying dw, laying dinner table, getting own school uniforms ready and feeding cats. Each task gained them 10p each.

It lasted three weeks before they decided it wasn't worth the money. Occasionally when they want money they'll start again but it quickly ends again.

VerySmallSqueak Thu 28-Mar-13 22:21:48

My DD's of that age are capable of loads of stuff.
Realistically,what they have been doing as a longer term prospect without (huge) drama is:
Feeding dog and cat in the morning.
Making own beds.
Tidying up the mess they have made (toys/drawing etc)
Dusting at times.
Laying and clearing table.

They don't do it every day,but then I find it too mundane to always do the same thing day in day out,so I'm happy it's done most of the time.

Skullnbones Thu 28-Mar-13 22:26:03

6 year old will sort washing and put a load on, tidy, set table, Hoover, dust, fill and empty dishwasher and tidy room,strip his bed....anything really.

3 year old dd makes a mess and does nothing else grin

chickydoo Thu 28-Mar-13 22:31:16

8 yr old empties dishwasher every morning, sorts out playroom, & his own room, feeds pets & puts his washing away. He also helps to set & clear table at supper. His siblings (3x lazy teens do very little)

MrsShrek3 Thu 28-Mar-13 22:47:50

ds2 is 9, makes the most mess so spends the most time tidying (the idiot still has no idea why he has to do more tidying up than the others) and he does a lot in the kitchen with food prep and cooking, making drinks and putting shopping away. he and ds1 (12) are entirely responsible for pet feeding, cleaning and care and they have to remember when we need hay and sawdust etc.

Dd is 7 and will do anything. loves putting clothing away, comes to do the supermarket shop and is a huge help, organises packed lunches bags each day and PE kit for school, swim kits, dance gear and stuff for lessons after school, keeps her own room tidy unlike her brothers and lays table, clears away, helps with peeling, chopping etc. in the kitchen, loves finding towels out if the tumble dryer. They all like doing things esp cooking so I hadn't actually realised how much they do grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now