Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Limescale on taps

(14 Posts)
Rockchick1984 Thu 28-Mar-13 08:08:06

Just moved house, and the last tenant was clearly more of a slob that me smile I've done as much as I can to try and clean everywhere, but just got a few other questions if anyone can please help?

The taps have a buildup of something (I assume limescale?) around the bit the water comes out of. I've tried a few squirts of cillit bang, and a lot of elbow grease and its not getting rid of it. What should I try?

The radiator in the lounge has a burn mark on it confused can I just paint the radiator with gloss, or is there a better solution?

House is always freezing (no double glazing). Do the stick-on double glazing sheets work? The front and back door are very draughty, any suggestions for the door frames or anything?

I'm rubbish with storage solutions so the house is a mess with boxes in some rooms still, but trying to at least make a few rooms feel clean and inviting, it's just not working! Can't afford to decorate at the moment, any tips for making it look more homely?

killedanotherthread Thu 28-Mar-13 08:19:34

I've not tried it, but Lakeland sell a funny little blue ball that you put the limescale remover in and then hang it from the spout so it can really soak off the limescale. Can't remember what it's called but will be on their website I imagine.

KatyTheCleaningLady Thu 28-Mar-13 08:19:50

When you say Cillit Bang, do you mean the Grime and Lime or the regular kitchen stuff?

The regular stuff is good on grease because it has a high ph. You want something acidic with a very low ph. Try Viakal. I've never used it, but I hear it's very good on limescale.

MrsHiddleston Thu 28-Mar-13 10:25:06

Viakal is the best thing to get rid of limescale. Where gloves though it's not nice on the skin!

MrsHiddleston Thu 28-Mar-13 10:25:31

Wear! Not where. <blushes>

MrsMeeple Thu 28-Mar-13 10:42:51

Pinterest shows lots of tips on hanging the showerhead in a bag of vinegar. Can you soak some paper towel in vinegar and leave it in the limescale?

PigletJohn Thu 28-Mar-13 12:31:53

satinwood paint is best on radiators.

MinimalistMommi Thu 28-Mar-13 12:57:26

Viakal, just used it on bath this morning, it's fantastic stuff. Works in five minutes, wipe and rinse off.

Rockchick1984 Thu 28-Mar-13 13:50:29

Thankyou, will try and get some at the weekend!

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 28-Mar-13 13:56:16

OOh, I want that Lakeland limescale bobble thing.
I've tried the trick of saturating kitchen roll in vinegar and cling-filming it to the tap, but it didn't shift it.

BlissfullyIgnorant Thu 28-Mar-13 13:59:04

Cut a lemon in half, wedge it onto the tap very firmly and wrap cling film around to keep it in place. Do it overnight. Repeat the following night if necessary. Smells fab and no gloves needed.

Leo35 Thu 28-Mar-13 14:02:05

I use white vinegar to remove limescale on taps, draining boards etc. I don't like to use a very strong cleaning agent to soak away limescale near the outlet of a tap. I don't have any scientific evidence for my opinion, but they are strong cleaning agents and I don't want them in the pipework!

A jerry can of white vinegar is probably a cheaper option than a named brand cleaner. I soak a large rag in the vinegar and apply it to the tap.

outtolunchagain Thu 28-Mar-13 18:30:16

I have this problem , viakal and the. Blue balloon thing don't seem to touch it . Like the idea of the lemon , will try that

mamij Thu 28-Mar-13 19:37:35

Congrats on your new home OP.

Vikal is brilliant for removing limescale on taps and shower doors too!

I've not tried the double glaze tape, so can't help you there. Some heavy curtains behind the doors will help reduce the draught coming in.

If you can bear a trip to Ikea, you could probably get something like this (http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/80071357/) and some wicker baskets for storage.

Also, some vibrant cushions might help to bring some colour to the place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now