Talk

Advanced search

Black stuff on rubber seal of washing machine.

(5 Posts)
bonzo77 Wed 27-Mar-13 14:18:38

The machine is 2 years old. There is a sort of spotty black build up on the door seal. I'm a bit nervous of using any chemicals or abrasives on it. I assume its mildew with caked on detergent residue. How do I get it off and stop it coming back? It's really grim and I am a bit of a clean freak.

perspective Wed 27-Mar-13 17:17:36

Have you ever cleaned/descaled it?

Try a hot wash with a tablespoon of soda crystals and a cup of white vinegar then wipe down. You can also buy special cleaner but soda crystals do the job just as well. I run the machine like this once every 3 months.

bonzo77 Wed 27-Mar-13 19:17:34

Right. Will try that. Can I use malt vinegar or must it be white?

Urbanvoltaire Sat 30-Mar-13 06:56:44

Do the hottest cycle possible with a cup of soda crystals or vinegar as previously suggested, every month. My friend had this problem & said it was because she uses the 30 degree cycles using non bio or ecover (according to her handyman).

bonzo77 Fri 05-Apr-13 21:54:26

Thanks all. Problem does seem to be the result of using liquid detergent at low temperature. I've done a hot wash with bio powder which has loosened the deposit enough to scrub a lot of it away with mildew remover and a nylon brush. Then did a soda crystal wash. I'm going to do this once a week till its all gone then monthly. Problem is that DS and I get eczema with anything other than surcare. Thankfully a new gasket is not that expensive and I'm sure I can fit it myself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: