Talk

Advanced search

how to wash sheepskin rug

(6 Posts)
happypotamus Wed 27-Mar-13 12:03:57

Fucking cat pissed on my lovely fluffy sheepskin rug (I don't care that no one has sheepskin rugs in this decade or whether MN disapproves of them).
What do I do?
There are no cleaning instructions on it. There probably were some tagged to it when we first got it but that was years ago.
I tried shampooing the affected bit with baby shampoo and rinsing it under the shower but that doesn't seem to have helped much.
I really don't like these cats at the moment.

MinimalistMommi Wed 27-Mar-13 12:06:35

My one bit of advice, don't tumble dry it, even if it says it can be. <bitter experience>

EffieTheDuck Wed 27-Mar-13 12:07:29

I wash ours in the washing machine on a wool wash. The back of the sheepskin goes a bit tough but lots of stamping on it softens it up.
Raise the pile with a dog brush (the metal type).

EffieTheDuck Wed 27-Mar-13 12:08:19

Air dry it if you can or dry it slowly.

IsItAMonster Wed 27-Mar-13 12:15:52

Wash it in the washing machine but be prepared for your house to smell of wet dog, or perhaps sheep, until it dries.

happypotamus Wed 27-Mar-13 13:34:41

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it the washing machine would completely destroy it. The wool cycle seems obvious when you think that the rug is really made of the same think as wool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now