Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dirty dishwasher

(8 Posts)
Apparentlychilled Tue 26-Mar-13 21:31:23

Does anyone else find that the inside of their dishwasher (esp the lip inside the edge of the door, at the bottom IYKWIM) gets really gunged up? I clean the filter pretty often (maybe twice a month) and I do a rinse wash if there's Weetabix/porridge bowls going in and I'm not turning it on immed.

Does everyone's machine get like this? Or is it just cos I'm a lazy slattern who refuses to rinse wash her plates before putting them into dishwasher like MIL.

PigletJohn Tue 26-Mar-13 23:01:43

you sponge the edge of the door and frame. Like you'd wipe round your sink sometimes.

Apparentlychilled Wed 27-Mar-13 06:18:46

Done that (I'm not that bad!) but it's inside the body of the machine, on the floor of it where it meets the door. It's all caked on and even hacking it w a knife didn't really do the trick.

MrsMangoBiscuit Wed 27-Mar-13 06:26:17

We don't rinse our plates, just scrape off anything big enough to notice. If they've been very grubby I try to remember to clean the filter afterwards, if not it probably gets cleaned twice a month. We also use dishwasher cleaner, just own brand or whatever is on offer, and probably only twice a year.

PigletJohn Wed 27-Mar-13 08:23:36

Your caked on grime suggests long term neglect. I'd suggest a green nylon scourer not a knife. Wipe on a liquid kitchen cleaner and give it time to moisten, soak in and soften the grime first.

You are topping up the softener with salt?

Apparentlychilled Wed 27-Mar-13 08:27:30

Yep, we use all in one tablets and I use salt too. I've left kitchen cleaner on (say 15 mins of Mister Muscle) and then wiped w kitchen paper before, but some of it is still gross. Will try w scourer.

Does everyone have these problems? I'd have thought regularly cleaning filter and doing rinse washes should keep it clean.

yawningmonster Wed 27-Mar-13 08:37:07

About once a month I will do a hot empty (sorry Earth) wash with a good splash of white vinegar poured into strategic places and left for about 30 minutes before hand.

PigletJohn Wed 27-Mar-13 09:09:08

I think what you are describing is tiny splahes and splatters outside the washing cabinet that have got past the seal and have dried on.

As they are outside the cabinet they will not get cleaned away by the water jets. There might be a rubbery seal at the bottom of the door that can be repaced, it will tend to wear if it has a wiping action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now