Talk

Advanced search

Regular machine wash to feather duvet & pillows

(12 Posts)
MrsBigBadBeck Mon 25-Mar-13 13:35:39

Now I know most people will tell me I can't or shouldnt but has anyone washed their feather pillows and duvet in the washing machine and tumbled them dry? Why are we advised not to?!

Swimbikerun Mon 25-Mar-13 20:12:20

I would like to know too! I have just washed a down jacket in the machine and tumble dried it and it looks great. Just working up courage for duvet. But is super king size so prob wouldn't fit....

MrsBigBadBeck Mon 25-Mar-13 20:17:31

Haha wow you'd need a huge machine to do thatgrin where I work (holiday park) there are huge tumble dryers next door bonus! So am contemplating washing the duvet and pillows and home, buying a few tumble dryer balls and whack them in there to dry for the day. On google people have said that they can grow mould in and smell stale if not dried properly. Having racked up the courage yetsad

Confuseddd Mon 25-Mar-13 20:17:39

I did mine at the laundrette last week and they came out nicely. I did them there rather than at home because they have larger tumble driers than standard. The only thing I found was that they took quite a long time to dry completely.

Swimbikerun Mon 25-Mar-13 21:07:49

What are tumble drier balls? Are they a bit like tennis balls, to make sure feathers don't clump up? I think I will brave the laundrette route then. Will add to list of things to do!

MrsBigBadBeck Mon 25-Mar-13 21:19:12

Swimbikerun the ones I've seen are purple and pink and yeah like tennis balls but they have bobbles on them to knock things about in the drier. Think ill have a go with them in a couple of weeks once Easter is out the waysmile glad someone has found it works! The tumblers ill be using are quite new so hopefully they'll dry in one cyclesmile

stealthsquiggle Mon 25-Mar-13 21:22:05

Yes I have and it works brilliantly (with dryer balls or tennis balls) , but our washing machine and dryer can only deal with a single duvet or a couple of pillows. Anything bigger needs to go to the laundrette.

MrsBigBadBeck Tue 26-Mar-13 20:29:52

Maybe I shall just wash the duvets and pillows in the launderette next door too as well as drying them. Thanks ladies, just need to invest in some dryer balls!smile

mathanxiety Tue 26-Mar-13 21:40:16

I always use three tennis balls for feather/down items and never overstuff the dryer so items have a chance to be thoroughly knocked around in there. I recommend finding a larger dryer for a duvet and only put in one at a time.

littlejo67 Fri 29-Mar-13 22:26:51

I wash feather duvets and pillows in the washing machine regularly. They are difficult to fit in because of all the air trapped around the feathers. When they come out its a sac if wet feathers. So if you can't get it in wet the duvet and it shrinks to a quarter of the size. I put mine in the tumble after. I take it out and give it a shake as its drying. They come out all fluffy and smelling great.

Snowgirl1 Sat 30-Mar-13 22:20:08

My M&S duvet actually says 'do not tumble dry, wash in laundrette (large capacity) washing machine'. Our cat has peed on our duvet several times angry so the duvey has been washed several times - it's been fine.

justpoppy Sun 31-Mar-13 23:08:12

I do my king sized duvet at home. It just about fits into my Bosch machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now