Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of baby things

(22 Posts)
buildingmycorestrength Tue 19-Mar-13 09:32:16

Just had some baby things (inc furniture) returned to me by a friend and don't know anyone with babies anymore.

Considered selling on Gumtree but wouldn't get much.

Considered free cycle but am fed up with it.

Called local Women's Aid refuge and they came and collected it from my door within a week.

Having seen on some of the Relationships threads what an enormously important organisation they are, I was delighted my things would be helping vulnerable women and children in need.

They don't organise fundraising events or large scale collections because the nature of their work is so sensitive, but always need items for their refuges and to support women starting out in new places.

Please add to your list of decluttering options if you feel moved to do so!

Teddimac Tue 19-Mar-13 13:29:47

What a great idea - I've got a crib that I'd somehow feel guilty about selling or giving to a charity shop, but the idea of donating it directly to someone who needs it is very appealing. What sort of items do they need most?

DeepRedBetty Tue 19-Mar-13 13:31:35

Great idea!

Most of our stuff has done the sisterhood and is now at least five babies old, but anything still fit for purpose will be offered.

buildingmycorestrength Tue 19-Mar-13 13:35:57

Aw, thanks guys, was starting to wonder if I'd misstepped in this recommendation.

I think just give your local place a call and ask them what they need. I think practical stuff is often very needed.

My local lady I spoke to said that the Women's Institute often donate hand-kntted blankets and so on but they are short of things like baby baths that older generations (such as generally frequent the WI) might not lay their hands on so quickly.

I might also arrange a collection at my house for the WA woman to pick up in a few months - just a note on FB would get quite a lot of stuff, I reckon.

LemonBreeland Tue 19-Mar-13 14:01:16

Sure Start also take baby items and clothing, if WA are not local to some people.

buildingmycorestrength Tue 19-Mar-13 14:03:09

Good idea Lemon

The WA lady said that donations of any kind of furniture are often really welcome, as they sometimes help women and children start all over again after leaving virtually everything behind. They literally need to furnish their homes from scratch.

Iwantmybed Tue 19-Mar-13 14:06:24

I contacted mine but had no reply. I really wanted to donate to them too. I've ended up ebaying them now.

Haberdashery Tue 19-Mar-13 14:07:46

I clicked on this thinking it would be someone who didn't know what to do with their old stuff and wanted to recommend WA. Great to hear that others are also doing this - I sent them masses of stuff a couple of years ago and they were very grateful. I believe they are also interested in household items such as crockery, pans, curtains, bedding etc.

buildingmycorestrength Tue 19-Mar-13 14:11:13

Yes, I had to contact a couple of times as I got no reply by email. I phoned a couple of times - I just think they must be horrible understaffed!

Flisspaps Tue 19-Mar-13 14:16:37

Iwant I had the same problem. I was loathe to call as I didn't want to block the phone line in case someone in need was trying to ring.

mamacoffee Wed 20-Mar-13 12:29:50

So glad I saw this thread. I have a lovely pram that ive been trying to find a similar cause for but not had any luck so far. Thank you

buildingmycorestrength Thu 21-Mar-13 19:22:17

mama great news. I'm sure it will well used.

Bossybritches22 Sat 27-Apr-13 19:49:05

Bumping this thread for such a worthy cause.

I remember someone saying on another thread that basic hygiene items are welcome too as are little treats . We all think of these brave ladies leaving their homes with no clothes or furniture but things like toothpaste a nice bar of soap, or handcream are all things the WA would love to have but can't always stretch to with their meagre budgets!

Maybe little packets of choccie buttons for the kids, & a cuddly? Some of them have left their treasured toys behind.

oh & loo rolls for the new homes! grin

Brownowlahi Mon 29-Apr-13 21:59:56

Would a womans refuge want second hand cloth nappies do you think. They are in varying conditions, from hardly used to very used, but all with lots of life left in them. How would you find a refuge? Just google woman's aid?

Bossybritches22 Wed 01-May-13 18:40:47

Brown Google WA- your town/county &see if there are details. Our local one ahs na office near the town hall ut it is very small so they can't store lots of stuff but its worth a ring some poor mum might be very grateful.

Bossybritches22 Wed 01-May-13 18:41:12

Sorry tired finger typos!!

PoppyWearer Wed 01-May-13 18:52:57

I had a load of sample-size toiletries, perfumes etc sitting in a box and my local refuge seemed very happy to receive those.

I can imagine being grateful for a little luxury like that at a difficult time.

PoppyWearer Wed 01-May-13 18:53:19

P.S. good thread OP!

ArtemisCake Wed 01-May-13 19:00:09

The women's refuge also appreciate women's clothes, e.g. jeans and t-shirts etc if you've got any that don't fit any more, pregnancy clothes and children's books and toys. If I've got no friends with babies the right age they get all our stuff, but we arrange a clandestine meeting at a neutral location to hand over the goodies rather than collecting from my house.

mamacoffee Wed 01-May-13 20:44:07

OP they came to get my buggy smile I think the nice feeling I had was overwhelmed though a feeling of sadness that they had a pregnant woman in their refuge (who it was going to).and also sadness for the lady in another refuge who couldn't take my single buggy bc they needed a double buggy for a lady with a 5yo 10mo and another due in a month. Men can be such idiots. Im not the swearing type hence the understatement in that sentence.

PullyWoolOver Wed 01-May-13 21:02:15

Great post OP! I am well overdue a clear out of baby stuff so will look up my local refuge and see what they need.

buildingmycorestrength Thu 02-May-13 09:24:38

OP here...For some reason I am not being notified that there was activity on this thread, but am SO glad it has sparked a wee bit of action.

Yes, some men are ... <ahem> idiots. sad

Well done all! Keep up the good work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now