Talk

Advanced search

Mice :-(

(34 Posts)
Piemother Sat 12-Jan-13 23:53:20

Tell me theres a clever way to disuade them without killing them?

Just moved the furniture around in my living room assume I've uncovered a hole or something as been here a long time and no droppings etc just a little dinky mouse dashing about!

CointreauVersial Thu 17-Jan-13 23:29:17

Awww, that's cute, PigletJohn. I was a bit worried there might be a twist at the end (I heart rats).

The human traps in the wardrobe have been emptied of bait and ahve closed, but no critters inside (nimble little blighters). I'll try a few more nights, then I'm getting some of that mummifying poison.

PigletJohn Thu 17-Jan-13 20:42:38

cats for pest control

AlbertaCampion Tue 15-Jan-13 01:38:53

If it's any consolation OP, we had a one-mouse situation. We lived in London. Crafty little bugger, but he eventually succumbed to a wire-sprung trap.

agnesf Tue 15-Jan-13 01:33:03

I don't entirely agree with the 1 mouse = many mice theory. We used to live in a city and there it was true. Now we live in country and in cold weather we do sometimes get the odd lone mouse but once caught or deterred we never see them or any sign of them for a year until its winter again. Country mice would rather be out in the hedgerows eating blackberries (or living in my nice warm compost heap hmm)

Piemother Tue 15-Jan-13 01:04:10

Landlord sending pest control. I will, still be asking for humane traps. I shall see what happens before I take any further action. I've had mice in more homes than I haven't be I always expected hundreds but there never were.

AmberLeaf Tue 15-Jan-13 00:15:01

Neosorexa gold on ebay.

AmberLeaf Tue 15-Jan-13 00:13:19

Never just one mouse.

You couldnt put down enough traps to get rid of an infestation.

Neosorexa gold, you can get it on ebay. Poison is the only way to get rid of them.

PigletJohn Tue 15-Jan-13 00:06:01

I am a naturally kind person and animal-lover, but if necessary will kill slugs, caterpillars, moths, rats and mice.

If you had a suffering and incurable pet, what would you do?

crazynanna Mon 14-Jan-13 23:40:34

I had mice when I moved into this (very old) house..would come into the lounge in the morning,turn on the light, and see them scurry everywhere..<starts sweating at memory> Iwas a nervous wreck.

Got crazykitten...but she was a baby. When she got to about5 months, I just realised one day I hadn't seen or heard one for ages ...

As a side....got a new fridge freezer delivered today, with the option for them to takeaway the old one. Told the guys "I am scared to move that fridge...I used to have mice! He then pulled it out, and said "Look Jim,look at the size of that bugger! And it's still alive!!!!" shock I just froze to the spot.

He then looked at me, laughed, and said "only kidding!"

I just gave him a filthy look,and a loud tut. Twat.

Fianccetto Mon 14-Jan-13 23:38:58

You can kill 4 mice this week, or pay a fortune to get rentokill in to kill hundreds of them in a few months. Your choice.

Piemother Mon 14-Jan-13 23:30:54

I can't kill Hunkamunka!

attheendoftheday Mon 14-Jan-13 23:04:53

We can form a being nice to mice club, piemother. I'm veggie and I don't like to kill things. I don't mind if people think I'm naive.

LifeofPo Mon 14-Jan-13 17:21:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JamNan Mon 14-Jan-13 17:17:32

Honestly Get.Rid.Of.Them.Now.
As they scramble all over your worktops/food/furniture/ when you are asleep or not watching they piss everywhere leaving behind disgusting diseases.

Get a cat.
Get Nipper traps (they like chocolate and bacon).
The poison AloeSailor recommended is good as it dries out the corpses and they don't smell too badly.

JNan goes downstairs to look under her sink to find out brand name for you...
back now... it's Rentokil Rat and Mouse Killer £6.99. Not harmful to humans. Little feckers pests have eaten their way into the Bio Slug Pellets though. That'll learn 'em. grin

Piemother Mon 14-Jan-13 00:06:28

Thanks attheend - I found the hole it's where I've moved a sofa away from the wall so I can sort that out easily enough.
I can't kill them however naive that sounds that's just not how I live. Plus I've been here over a year and be we had then until now so in fairly confident this one hole is the problem grin

attheendoftheday Sun 13-Jan-13 23:19:54

We had a successful experience with humane traps and blocking up the ways in. I found chocolate buttons were the best bait, and the mice need to be released a mile from your house (and not near anyone else's house). My tip would be when you think you've caught all the mice to keep putting the traps down for another week and checking them daily, there always seem to be a couple extra hanging around.

AloeSailor Sun 13-Jan-13 22:28:32

Mice carry salmonella. The mummifying poison is good.

MoreBeta Sun 13-Jan-13 22:25:27

We had a large number of mice under our kitchen units (rented property).

I discovered they were coming in through the air bricks so I put a very fine wire mesh over the bricks and then I put down killing traps and poison. Gone in two weeks.

CointreauVersial Sun 13-Jan-13 22:21:57

NewYear - the problem with the snappy traps is that the mice can sometimes be trapped injured, and I couldn't cope with that.

Interesting about the no-smell poison - that was always my worry, that the loft would slowly fill up with stinky rotting corpses.

TeaOneSugar Sun 13-Jan-13 22:20:06

We've haven't seen a mouse since we got a plug in deterant device, like these.

You need to make sure you get one big enough for your house, worth every penny. Ours clicks but you do tune it out, like a ticking clock.

NewYearNewTown Sun 13-Jan-13 19:06:33

It isn't one mouse. For every mouse you see, I have heard estimates of between 10 and 30 you haven't seen yet. It is dribbling urine over every surface it runs across.

I personally feel that break back traps, which should give a clean kill, are often more humane than leaving a terrified mouse trapped in a box for hours on end. IYSWIM.

chewingguminmyhair Sun 13-Jan-13 18:52:26

It is not one mouse. You'll have dozens.

PigletJohn Sun 13-Jan-13 18:50:21

there's never "one mouse"

After they have eaten and soiled your cornflakes, biscuits, clean towels, best jumper, flour, electric cables, fridge insulation, cutlery, plates and carpets, you will start to feel differently.

Piemother Sun 13-Jan-13 18:28:01

Good lord! I've found the hole already I will be sticking with the humane traps I have no desire to hurt them unnecessarily especially when dc love their Beatrix potter books so much. It's so far one mouse which is probably ignore if not for small dc.

neveronamonday Sun 13-Jan-13 16:42:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now