Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

tips for cleaning a washing machine

(8 Posts)
saycheeeeeese Sat 12-Jan-13 10:24:13

For a slattern who hasn't done it in 4 years blush

I didn't know you had to, but clothes are no longer smelling fresh no matter how much powder I use!

Any tips?

notMarlene Sat 12-Jan-13 10:42:42

Right, first take out then detergent drawer and give it a good scrub with some bleachy water and a toothbrush. Give the seal a good scrub, again with bleachy water.

Then run the longest, hottest cycle you have with the machine empty and nothing added. Repeat until there are no more bubbles (caused by detergent build-up) during the wash.

Clean out the filter.

Run the long hot cycle again with washing soda. voila!

saycheeeeeese Sat 12-Jan-13 10:44:29

Thanks so much notmarlene that's really helpful!

notMarlene Sat 12-Jan-13 10:47:44

It's a faff, but worth it wink

If you do a monthly or bi monthly maintenance wash (empty, long and hot) it shouldn't happen again.

1/2 the manufacturers recommended amount of detergent is plenty to get stuff clean and stops you getting so much build up from the excess product.

PigletJohn Sat 12-Jan-13 12:15:33

if you have some washing soda, a cupfull added to the hot wash seems to help dissolve the old sludge.

scrub out the slot that the drawer slides into, especially the top, with a nylon brush. If there is black mildew, use a "kitchen cleaner with bleach" spray which will kill the mildew and help remove the soap scum or lime.

saycheeeeeese Sat 12-Jan-13 12:22:51

Thanks piglet thankfully even after 4 years its not too bad I do try to wash the drawer out when it gets clogged with softener.

Someone in rl suggested I put bleach in the drawer and someone else said white vinegar, but will gave a look for the soda, would bicarb work do you think?

PigletJohn Sat 12-Jan-13 12:51:12

don't think so

washing soda (crystals in a green bag in the Detergents aisle) is good for cleaning grease and drains, and some people add it to the powder in a white wash, and it seems to help with soap scum.

I like to put the powder into the drum through the door rather than the drawer, it seems to keep it cleaner.

saycheeeeeese Sat 12-Jan-13 12:52:08

Thanks piglet will get some today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now