Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Black mould spots on back of sofa

(5 Posts)
leobeebs Fri 11-Jan-13 19:24:46

The sofa is in the conservatory and does always feel damp. We inherited it when we moved in and can't afford to replace. Today I moved my cream sofa and the back had quite a bit of black mould spots. How can I remove them and what can be done to stop it. Whilst the conservatory is damp we've never had furniture turn black.
Would love a dehumidifier but they're ££.
Any help would be great.

PigletJohn Fri 11-Jan-13 20:23:03

conservatories are usually cold and badly insulated. Condensation will form on cold, badly ventilated surfaces, and mould on the back of furniture that is against a wall is typical.

If you pull the furniture away from the wall to allow better air circulation, it will not be so bad. Otherwise, the usual tips against condensation apply - more ventilation, and no wet washing.

bureni Fri 11-Jan-13 20:27:11

If the conservatory has a radiator place a small low energy fan close to the radiator to allow the heat to travel better, I use a length of white bartol sewer pipe suspended from the peak of the ceiling with an old computer fan fitted to circulate the heat to ground level and around the room which really helps.

leobeebs Fri 11-Jan-13 22:10:26

Have you any ideas what I can use to remove the black dots? My wooden floor has a little bit of black on it guessing scrubbing that with bleach will do the trick. I do have underfloor heating out there so have had that on a little tonight.
Do you think i need a dehumidifier?

homeaway Sat 12-Jan-13 11:45:25

You need the heating on in there or you will not get rid of the damp, a dehumidifier is well worth investing in if you can, there are smaller ones available on amazon or you might be able to get one in the sales. Maybe keep the door open to the house so that there is not such of a temperature difference, but the downside is that will probably make the rest of the house colder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now