Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How best to clean mould off a wall?

(7 Posts)
OptimisticPessimist Thu 03-Jan-13 11:06:49

There's been an ongoing issue with rainwater leaking into my DD's room (the cause of which has hopefully been fixed now). The landlord will be paying to have the room redecorated, but there's mould growing on the area where the leak occurred and I want to get it cleaned off asap. What's the best way to clean it? Thanks.

NewYearNewBoo Thu 03-Jan-13 11:10:46

I had a mould stain on my bathroom ceiling, I used this magic sponge from jml to get rid of the stain then wiped with a cloth soaked in milton to make sure all the spores and ick were cleaned off properly.

Rikalaily Thu 03-Jan-13 11:11:30

Hg mould spray, you can get it on Amazon, it's brill.

MissMilliment Thu 03-Jan-13 11:15:07

Yep, HG mould spray is fantastic.

PigletJohn Thu 03-Jan-13 14:17:39

most important thing is to get it dry, or it will come back.

having the window slightly open will make the biggest difference.

If you can get hold of a fan to blow on the wet patch, it will evaporate from the surface so that it can be ventilated out through the window.

If it is going to be redecorated, strip off any wallpaper so the water can evaporate off the plaster more easily. If the plaster is perished or soft, point this out as it needs to be hacked off (which will also allow the bricks to dry quicker.

It is usually said that a wet brick wall dries out at the rate of about one inch depth per month.

OptimisticPessimist Mon 07-Jan-13 12:32:28

Great advice, thank you. I've ordered some of that spray.

PigletJohn, I do open the window daily for a couple of hours and it does seem to be drying, there's no wallpaper so just paintwork. The paint is still discoloured when dry but it doesn't feel soft or any different to the unaffected parts of the wall. I'm not sure how to tell if it's perished?

PigletJohn Mon 07-Jan-13 12:39:28

it would be soft or crumbly. Try it with a fingernail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now