Talk

Advanced search

So, DH has nikwaxed the kitchen floor (lino)...how to get it off?

(10 Posts)
Needathickerskin Wed 02-Jan-13 23:20:38

He was re-waterproofing the coats and inadvertently turned our kitchen into an ice rink. The kids and I keep slipping and there have been a few bumped heads. He's mopped it with flash and when that didn't work, bio washing powder. It all just seems to to be buffing it up!

Any ideas please?

Needathickerskin Wed 02-Jan-13 23:28:21

Although, googling a solution has been entertaining...

"Handy Hint: If you drape your jacket over the back of the chair in the kitchen for the "spray it on" bit, DON'T forget to wipe up any that lands on the lino floor...because if you don't, the lino becomes VERY BLOODY SLIPPERY! And DAMHIK! Not even my cat can walk over it without tipping arse over tip... :angry:"

"Don't get it on the lino though, you'll fall on your arse, then when you go to get a cloth to clean it up you'll fall on your arse again. Don't ask me how I know- I just know."

Not just us then grin

Needathickerskin Wed 02-Jan-13 23:30:15

"Just a heads up...

Dont spray Nixwax inside over a wooden floor whilst wearing socks...

Went to get food, came back and slipped on the now super slick floor. Food everywhere and a sore arse

Damn Nikwax >.<"

grin grin

PigletJohn Thu 03-Jan-13 00:11:24

it's wax (and possibly oil?) in solvent, isn't it?

So I would go straight to white spirit and kitchen roll. It will take off any polish as well, and some of the stains that you thought were permanent.

If you haven't got white sprit, buy some tomorrow. It's possible that meths or gin might do it.

these are all inflammable, so open the windows, no smoking or lighting the gas. Soak your kitchen roll in water and tie it in a plastic bag before throwing it away (or put it under the bonfire if you have one) but not not not it a stove or fireplace as the vapour might explode.

ThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight Thu 03-Jan-13 00:18:08

Scrape it off. With his teeth. LOL

White spirit i would have thought, maybe possibly windowlene (the pink one) or rubbing alcohol. Test small area first x

ThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight Thu 03-Jan-13 00:18:47

Wiping gin on the floor???

The very idea

grin

Needathickerskin Thu 03-Jan-13 00:59:33

Cheers you guys smile
Will try the white spirit before mopping the floor with gin though!

Startail Thu 03-Jan-13 01:11:43

You put the jackets on the washing line outside to spray them.
Honestly, you have to tell DH's everything.

PigletJohn Thu 03-Jan-13 01:13:19

(it wasn't really the DH, was it?)

Needathickerskin Thu 03-Jan-13 01:36:51

Oi, it certainly was DH.
I would have put newspaper down.
I wouldn't have washed the coats with regular washing powder, necessitating re-waterproofing.
hmm
grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now