Talk

Advanced search

How do I clean my waste paper basket

(18 Posts)
harbingerofdoom Wed 02-Jan-13 20:09:04

also known as a car?
Thank to this lovely weather we've had for the last nine months all of my door seals (and lots of other bits) have gone green with mould.

PS the waste paper is only the little barrier tickets from Waitrose nearest parking to the library.

rechargemybatteries Wed 02-Jan-13 20:13:07

Babywipes? That's what I use on the very rare occassion I clean my bin I have just today done a deal to trade it in for a new-to-me car and I am dreading cleaning it out!

harbingerofdoom Wed 02-Jan-13 21:33:17

Don't think baby wipes will do it. You have made me think of a toothbrush tho grin

PigletJohn Thu 03-Jan-13 00:41:10

I've never had a mouldy car.

Start by giving it a good clean inside, out, and glass - mats out, seats slid or folded, hoover first including boot and the grooves in the doorseals. Sponge all interior plastic (handles, dash, wheel, controls) with warm water and WUL, and polish off with an old vest.

Then, when you can seee the mouldy bits, kitchen cleaner with bleach spray will clean it off. Rinse of with water and polish off with that vest.

Mats can often be hosed or sloshed about in the sink then hung on washing like or fence to dry. They will be surprisingly dirty.

If it is mouldy inside, you probably have a water leak. Most likely round an opening window. Unless you drive around steamy, with the windows shut and the heater on "recirculate". Feel round for wet carpet patches.

If you have air-con, it will dry out dampness.

It will take some time but be satisfying. If you are in a hurry, just do the inside.

rechargemybatteries Thu 03-Jan-13 10:08:17

What's WUL?

PigletJohn Thu 03-Jan-13 10:42:54

*ashing
*p
*iquid

rechargemybatteries Thu 03-Jan-13 10:50:55

blush

harbingerofdoom Fri 04-Jan-13 15:23:17

Thanks Piglet John. Is it safe to use the kitchen cleaner with bleach on the rubber seals?
I seem to think that rubber + bleach is a bad idea but I'm not sure why confused.

PigletJohn Fri 04-Jan-13 15:38:46

it might perish over a long period, but you will be spraying it on, rinsing and then using your vest to polish off.

PigletJohn Fri 04-Jan-13 18:08:38

p.s.

I have seen "rubber" (more likely plastic) perish in a WC cistern when exposed to long-term bleach, but this is after some years soaking. I don't remember seeing it anywhere else.

AFAIK it is not a problem with the "rubber" seals in waste and soil pipes which are in occasional contact with bleachy materials.

harbingerofdoom Fri 04-Jan-13 18:53:39

You have set my mind at rest.

harbingerofdoom Fri 04-Jan-13 21:43:26

PS. Where do I find this strange item that is called a vest?

I use old PJs,cords and other woven cotton items. I do not like using t-shirts etc.

rechargemybatteries Fri 04-Jan-13 21:44:55

I use old terry nappies blush they are 25 years old at least.

rechargemybatteries Fri 04-Jan-13 21:45:52

Well, on the very rare occassions I clean my car. I have to do it before Tuesday I don't want to there might be things growing in it dear only knows what I'll find

harbingerofdoom Fri 04-Jan-13 21:59:06

My mum used terry nappies for all of her cleaning. Chopped up. Then when they ran out it was the old towels.
I'm doing the same.

rechargemybatteries Fri 04-Jan-13 22:01:27

I love my terries for cleaning. Prefold wrung out in cleaning solution on a rubber brush washes the floor the best of anything. And another one after dries it up lovely. And the big ones fit the steam mop grin

harbingerofdoom Fri 04-Jan-13 22:16:22

Now,this steam mop, any good for my poor old mouldy green car?

rechargemybatteries Fri 04-Jan-13 22:38:31

Sadly no, I should've bought the up market one that detached

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now