The Fledglings' nests will be clean in 2013!(985 Posts)
(With many thanks to Jdub for title inspiration!!)
If your house is a mess and you are strugging with C.H.A.O.S. (can't have anyone over syndrome) and S.T.U.F.F. (something that undermines family fun) then this is the thread where we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system (in our own, unique, relaxed style) with lots of chat, support and wine along the way.
This little-and-often system is designed so that you can follow a series of steps and routines each day (which gradually become second nature) in weekly designated zones of the house; defining and minimising housework - which in theory should leave you with more time to do other, more interesting things instead!
At the same time it is intended to reduce that panicky "rabbit in headlights" feeling when you are overwhelmed and everything needs doing all at once. No problem if you miss a day or two; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!
We advise not signing up to receive the Flylady e-mails as you will be inundated (although some Fledglings find the compilation e-mails helpful)! All the information you need will be linked here on a daily basis.
From the first of the month, we will be following Flylady's steps and routines using a three-pronged approach (dependent on the stage everyone is at):
- start or repeat baby steps
- repeat baby steps + do 15 mins a day decluttering in the current zone
- reinforce babysteps and do daily missions if you have finished decluttering.
[And if you are really enthusiastic and have finished decluttering - you can go on to detailed deep cleaning in each zone.]
More info here on getting started and Flying lessons. Here's the launch pad for more experienced fledglings. Don't be put off by the barf-tastic language of the site - the underlying system is sound (and you may discover a few of our subversions of the vocabulary along the way).
Huge thanks to Lauren for being our incredibly reliable and organised shining star in the East and leading us throughout the very busy month of December!!
Happy New Year Fledglings!!
Also SC can we have a part 2 thread pretty please. This one will be full by the end of day or first thing. Thank you!
Lovely sunny day here, no more snow but non melted yet either. DS grumbled all the way to school about not being allowed to take his scooter, but the entire route is packed sludge/ice, so it would have been lethal. Went to town afterwards to buy both DCs thermal gloves as the hands have been the rate determining step in how long the DCs have felt able to stay outdoors in the snow, think I should possibly have got some for myself too, but CBA to go back now. Might go in on the way back to school this afternoon.
Need to get on with home blessing and OU work now. Back later.
I hate to tell everyone, but Flylady does songs too...
[SC sprints away with fingers firmly in ears]
Hi just wanted to pop on and let you know I am still flying
with the aid of a cleaner who starts this week but the thread was just too much for me to keep up with.
I hope you are all keeping well
January thread Part II over here!!
Waves to Nicknacks!!
Morning, Proper snow day today, everything has been cancelled for me.
- wash up
- Wipe bathroom
- Turn on washing machine
- Make beds
- 2nd load of washing in machine (thought Id may as well since Im not going anywhere now)
- Snowball fight with DS, DD1 and DH
- Wipe inside of windows (even with a bit of air they still get condensation)
- Shine Sink
- wash up 2X
- Dry Laundry
- Put laundry away
- fill washing machine for Tues
- lay out clothes for Tues
- quick tidy of bedroom (we dont actually have a bed ATM and sleep on two mattresses so there is no under the bed so will clear a bit of the floor instead)
- Go to Business course (been cancelled)
- Go to ECDL course (been cancelled)
- Ring up landlord about kitchen sink (if I ring them up today no-one will come due to the weather so it will take weeks, will wait until Wed and they will most likely come out that day or Thurs)
- go to dentist (been cancelled)
Best crack on and do stuff. BBL
Quick list as its already after 10am and I'm not dressed yet. Admittedly school is closed so we are treating it as an extra w/e day - DS and I on separate computers, DD still in bed and, sadly, DH in office in garden working (the joys of self-employment!)
- Washing on - done
- 3 out of 4 fed - done
- Ring Bag2School people re our collection tomorrow - need to let them know asap if school is closed tomorrow done
- Figures for accountant for tax return
- Contact Winston's Wish re Brighton Marathon - I was signed up to do it but have had chest virus thing for nearly 6 weeks and haven't been running at all so am too far behind with training to catch up now Hoping to defer until next year and do it properly.
- Morning routine
- 15 mins in our bedroom
- Library with DC
- Get DC to finish homework
DD just appeared so I'd better get dressed then make pancakes as promised last night. Mmmmm - second breakfast
Have a good day everyone.
Trazzles a very happy first birthday to your dd! Hope you all have a lovely day (even though it is quieter than anticipated owing to weather)!
Sounds like you are in need of a good rest day Feetheart - hope chest infection clears soon
Crikey Lilleth your list of 'cancelled' appts is almost as long as your 'to do' list - what a nuisance for you
Bitchy I am doing the very same short list!!!
Ooh I love a quick trip to Hema Engels - addicted to their salty licorice!
Good luck with OU work whoknows (dd is on her third pair of gloves since Sept )
Good luck with boudoir decluttering Bakerofcakes (doing the same thing here!)
Silvery having listened to a couple of the songs, I daren't watch any of the videos!
Cuddledup I'm with you re: 5:2 Sounds like excuse
which it is but loads of stress here, house is freezing, brain not in right place to start diet atm. I'm starting properly on Feb13 - but doing proper planning/prep in advance and gradual tuning up of daily walks exercise regime before then plus gradual withdrawal from alcohol/coffee. Hope bus trip not too onerous this am.
Waves to Nicknacks (again) and everyone else!
We have all moved here btw!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.