Talk

Advanced search

flooded toilet drain and cats who like to lay on my worksurface and kitchen table

(11 Posts)
Karbea Mon 17-Dec-12 15:21:50

urgggh help!

I've just had dyno rod come and sort out the situation but!!!

Outside there are obviously remains the nice man hosed it all down but suggested I get some Jeyes Fluid for the patio, but the cats will walk in it, and they love walking/sleeping all over my kitchen. I do scream at them to get off but i'll never always see them (there are 4 of them), also my kitchen floors/carpets etc... urgh help me!!!

PigletJohn Mon 17-Dec-12 15:33:12

their feet will probably be no dirtier than usual sad

cats can be trained from kittenhood to stay off tables and worktops, by speaking sharply and consistently lifting them down. Then they only do it when you're out.

maybe spread newspaper for the next day or two?

BTW Jeyes or bleach might poison the cats when they lick their feet clean.

Some rain to wash it off, and some sun to dry it, will do more good.

Karbea Mon 17-Dec-12 15:41:11

Oh i'm always telling the kitten to get off, we have inconsistent parenting though as my husband thinks its funny... The three older cats were my husbands before i was ever around and although i tell them to get off they tell me that they were here first!

re Jeyes fluid - really??? what might be better? I can't imagine we will be too healthy if we eat germs from poo :S

Yep im praying for rain - first bl**dy dry day in I can't remember how long sad

PigletJohn Mon 17-Dec-12 15:45:18

you will just have to swab down the kitchen surfaces, same as you do on other days when the cats have been out in the garden, trampling on soil contaminated with cat poo, dog poo, rotting burgers, dead birds etc.

Karbea Mon 17-Dec-12 15:48:59

Umm I guess it just feels like it's worse as it's poo.. but youre right no worse than animal poo etc...

yuleheart Mon 17-Dec-12 15:59:56

Would the cats really walk in the jeyes fluid/bleach?

I swill our patio with boiling water and copious amounts of bleach as the male dog sometimes wees (as opposed to on the lawn) there but I've never seen the cat walk in it, he always gives it a wide berth.

Once its dried into the ground/flags surely it can't harm animals?

PigletJohn Mon 17-Dec-12 16:29:36

you can't trust them not to.

sometimes animals pick up weedkillers and other harmful chemicals on their feet, which they then lick off.

hosing with plain water will clean off pretty well anything, though tom cat is more difficult.

educatingarti Mon 17-Dec-12 16:48:23

Can you shut them out of the kitchen for a couple of days until it has rained enough for you not to be worried?

PseudoBadger Mon 17-Dec-12 16:50:17

Jeyes fluid is lethal to cats! Never mind them walking on your surfaces - dont use Jeyes fluid anywhere they can walk.

PseudoBadger Mon 17-Dec-12 16:51:12

Sorry I missed the bit of PigletJohn's post where he said that blush

maxmillie Mon 17-Dec-12 20:30:57

"cats can be trained from kittenhood to stay off tables and worktops, by speaking sharply and consistently lifting them down. Then they only do it when you're out."

lol lol lol so true. I keep the door closed generally when I go out as they will inevitably be on the counter when I get back which I think is minging. I wipe down with bleach wipes which is probably not a great idea but they seem to be ok so far. (I also wipe the baby's face with one by mistake instead of a wetwip, as well as my own. So far, everyone has survived).

In your situation I would bleach, hose down and keep them in for a day or too or until it has rained.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: