Talk

Advanced search

If you have a Roomba or a Samsung Navibot

(15 Posts)
CashmereHoodlum Mon 17-Dec-12 10:36:58

please could you tell me how it performs in your kitchen, specifically at the edges of your cupboards? I am desperate for a Roomba but the worst area is at the baseboards (is that what they are called?) and I'm wondering how the Roomba will deal with that.

Also has anybody got the Navibot? The Roomba seems to be the robot of choice for the discerning mumsnetter but I am considering the Navibot too.

RemindMeWhatSleepIs Mon 17-Dec-12 10:51:35

I've had an irobot roomba 780 since December 2011. It's fabulous! I love it to bits! I'm asthmatic so my hatred of hoovering involves struggling to breathe when trying to vacuum under beds. I'm also a bit lazy and just love the fact that it vacuums my house whilst I spend time with my children elsewhere in the house.

Regarding kitchen cleaning. It does fine apart from maybe 2-3cm in the corners which if you only use the Roomba will get a bit dusty after a while. I just wipe them myself with a cloth before it starts.

Our Roomba is called Horace. smile

CashmereHoodlum Mon 17-Dec-12 11:00:10

Thank you. You are convincing me!

HappyHippyChick Mon 17-Dec-12 11:03:10

I have a Samsung navibot which is ok, it gets stuck on/under a few bits of furniture, but it does have a setting to go right up to the edges so good in that respect.

Battlefront Mon 17-Dec-12 11:03:16

Oooh, I keep looking at these in the Lakeland book, but...such a lot of money. The other thing that puzzles me is they seem very "flat". Where does al the fluff go? How often does it have to be emptied?

Also the stairs are my worst hoovering job - the rest of it's not really all that bad...is it?

CashmereHoodlum Mon 17-Dec-12 11:10:56

the rest of it's not really all that bad...is it?

It is, believe me!

Thank you HHC I am quite keen on the idea of the Navibot but they don't seem as popular as the Roomba so reviews are a bit thinner on the ground. How long have you had yours?

I am currently vacuuming the bath blush, which is really dusty because we never use it! We do have showers though, but I won't be doing away with the miele just yet.

RemindMeWhatSleepIs Mon 17-Dec-12 16:54:36

Battlefront- my model of Roomba picks up a lot of dirt before its full. It has some clever technology waste bin that sucks in the dirt till the waste is almost a solid lump. The stairs, not half as bad a job if that's the only vacuuming you have to do! smile

CiderwithBuda Mon 17-Dec-12 17:13:56

Love my roomba! I do have to empty mine often due to two hairy sheddy labradors but it cope ok with the hair really. It does sort of blow hair right into the corners if there is too much if it but if you don't have my two hairy sheddy labs you should be ok!

HappyHippyChick Mon 17-Dec-12 19:54:19

I've had it about 6 months, the dust collecting bit is smallish but ridiculously easy to empty, not a faff at all. It is pretty cool watching it map the ceiling then setting off!

Hulababy Mon 17-Dec-12 20:00:09

Can I hijack a second, as looking at a Roomba which I can set going when I am at work.

However we have stairs - we live over three floors. Can it cope with this? Do the sensors pick up the top of the stairs and not fall over/down?

RemindMeWhatSleepIs Mon 17-Dec-12 20:53:30

Hula, yes the Roomba 780's sensors work well and it doesn't fall down the stairs. It also has sensors that pick up when it's coming towards an object and it slows down for the last few seconds so it doesn't hit it.

Obviously try it a few times when you are at home first so you figure out if struggles with anything in your house. We moved a few bits of furniture a few inches here and there to make its path easier.

EmmaNemms Tue 18-Dec-12 05:57:59

Cautionary tale I heard at the weekend. I don't have one if these so not sure how they really work but a friend went out and left it going. Somehow, their elderly cat managed to crap on it and she said when she came back, the whole of the downstairs was covered in feline faeces. My, how we laughed.

EmmaNemms Tue 18-Dec-12 06:00:39

http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=43290

CashmereHoodlum Tue 18-Dec-12 18:34:34

Thanks. I don't have a cat, fortunately! I am still undecided between the Roomba and the Navibot so I am going to let DH decide. That way, when it goes wrong I can blame him for choosing the wrong one.

FreyaKItty Thu 20-Dec-12 00:43:13

Hi everyone, I've asked dh to get a neato. Has anyone any experience? I'd seen lots of reviews on amazon.com but it seems less popular this side of atlantic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now