Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Salt in dishwasher - Soft Water Area

(5 Posts)
LivingIndependent Sun 09-Dec-12 20:52:21

Hello. First of all I am new to mums net and being new to independent living I am looking for a little help from male or female members here on MN. I recently bought a fantastic BEKO Slimline Dishwasher and as with the family machine we generally put Salt into the chamber (salt chamber) as guided by staff in-store and the manuals.

After having put salt in like normal into the chamber, I found out that I live in a soft water area in Scotland, D'oh! Now is there any harm having salt in the machine or is there a way of removing it/washing it out the machine as if to "Start Fresh"?

Thanks in advance!
J

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Sun 09-Dec-12 20:55:18

I also live in scotland and use salt and rinse aid as well as tablets as I think it gives a better wash. On my machine you can adjust the setting so that it uses the right amount of salt for your water hardness. No need to remove or wash out the salt.

AgentProvocateur Sun 09-Dec-12 20:57:07

I don't think it will do any harm, but you definitely don't need it. I'm in Scotland and have never used in 20 years of owning a dishwasher.

LivingIndependent Sun 09-Dec-12 20:58:29

Thank you.
I have set my machine to "Soft Water" setting which was rather difficult at first. I think it uses very little or no salt on this setting as the light never illuminates. I still, however use Rinse-Aid as for great results.

PigletJohn Mon 10-Dec-12 09:12:35

If you can see the heating element at the bottom of your machine (will look like a shiny metal rod, as thick as a pencil, bent round and returning to its start point in a loop, spaced off the floor of the machine with clips, may have a slight coppery sheen)

...observe if it is bright and shiny. If it starts to go dull, or gets a coating of limescale like the bottom of a kettle, you need salt in the reservoir. You can reduce the amount used if the water is fairly soft by adjusting the regulator setting. Often this is a little blue dial in the top left corner of the doorframe.

You may need to retrieve the instructions from the drawer or download them from the manufacturers website.

The salt is used by the internal softener and there will never be any in the washing water (unless there is a fault which is very rare).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now