Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Drying clothes in -3

(10 Posts)
AnAirOfHopeInAManger Thu 06-Dec-12 12:21:49

Hello

My dryer has broken and i have to wait for new parts. So my question is how do i dry clothes when it is -3 outside? Will the clothes dry?

I have a clothes horse but its small and i have a lot of washing to do. I have no idea how to dry it all blush

Any tips or help greatfully welcome

nannyl Thu 06-Dec-12 12:39:19

do you have a laundrett nearby?

they have giant dryers that will take much more than a normal domestic ones

noisytoys Thu 06-Dec-12 12:50:56

I use a big airer with a dehumidifier next to it and the radiator turned on it takes about a day to dry a load

AnAirOfHopeInAManger Thu 06-Dec-12 14:15:28

a day sad

newtonupontheheath Thu 06-Dec-12 15:03:33

I hang clothes over door frames, on hangers... Over the bannister... On curtain poles... Whack the heating on and voila! Heat rises so I keep it upstairs all crowded and stay downstairs until I think it's dry-that way it doesn't annoy me too much!

We have a dryer but I'm trying desperately not to use it as I'd rather have the heating on!

specialsubject Thu 06-Dec-12 18:42:50

if it is windy and not raining, clothes will dry outside. If it is really cold and still the water freezes on the clothes, and then you can shake a lot of it off, eskimo-style!

if it is still and damp, or raining, no.

AnAirOfHopeInAManger Thu 06-Dec-12 18:58:01

I put a load out on line as it was dry and windy but -1 and they dried smile

I also put some on maid, in airing cupboard and on the radiators and on hangers in doorway and turned heating up on full blush

I can report the clothes on radiator bried the fastest in an hour smile

Clothes on maid took the longest.

I have a 3 year old with s&d and a one year old muck magnet.

Not looking forward to tomoro I want my drier fixed.

spottymoo Thu 06-Dec-12 20:22:24

I have two clothes airers open the windows upstairs airers are on landing I can dry 2 loads a day on them.

Bedding goes over the banister and dries in a day

PigletJohn Thu 06-Dec-12 23:21:34

there's a lot to be said for a tumble drier

a modern vented one uses about 60p worth of electricity to dry a full load of 7 or 8 kg of cotton, and about 30p for a smaller or synthetic load

some of the better condensors use less, but they cost significantly more to buy. The really economical ones use one-third the electricity, but cost three times as much to buy, which rather defeats the idea of economy.

PigletJohn Fri 07-Dec-12 08:38:08

Btw wet washing draped around the house or on radiators is the main cause of condensation, damp and mould in UK homes.

If you don't use a washing line or a tumbler, I'm sure a closed room with a dehumidifier will keep the damp down.

Another cheap way is to hang it over the bath with the door and window shut and an effective extractor fan running.

A bathroom extractor runs for about 50 hours on 1kWh of electricity (currently 14p)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now