Talk

Advanced search

Washing machine bust today... recommendations for new one please !

(19 Posts)
brighterfuture Sun 25-Nov-12 18:33:12

I need to buy a new machine fast. We are a family of five and i need one that has a good energy rating and a large drum. I don't have time to check out all the reviews but I want one which will be reliable and last a long time. What machine have you got and how do you rate it ? Any answers very gratefully received.

StuntNun Sun 25-Nov-12 18:39:27

I have an LG TrueSteam (F1480TDS). It wasn't cheap but it has a huge drum (up to 8kg) that can wash a single duvet. It can get a full load really clean which is handy when you have three boys. It has a steam option which you can use to get clothes extra clean or to give lightly worn clothes a freshen up. It's a lot better than my old Hotpoint one which was poor at getting stains out so it has paid for itself in cleaning more efficiently and taking bigger loads. HTH.

StuntNun Sun 25-Nov-12 18:40:28

Have a look at the Reevoo site if you want to read reviews of any machines.

Littlepumpkinpie Sun 25-Nov-12 21:35:42

My LG is 10years old had no problems at all a friend has had the same machine for 15years and her is fine too.

Floralnomad Sun 25-Nov-12 21:36:56

LG direct drive , they are fab and very quiet.

brighterfuture Sun 25-Nov-12 21:43:11

Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at the Lg but it's a make I'd never heard of so good to have all your positive feed back. Anyone know where they are built ? Thanks also for the Reevoo tip smile

StuntNun Mon 26-Nov-12 02:11:52

I think they're Korean. The direct drive washing machines have their motors guaranteed for 10 years which I thought was good.

PigletJohn Mon 26-Nov-12 18:56:50

Bosch, or Miele if you can afford it.

You didn't mention a budget.

brighterfuture Mon 26-Nov-12 21:01:24

I don't want to spend more than 500 if I can help it. I always wash everything on eco quick wash , but I do a lot of washing. I've been looking at the Lg and some of the reviews say the cycles take a long time. I don't want lots of buttons and cycles. I want something incredibly robust that will be a workhorse for years to come.
I am buying on line so can anyone with an LG please advise me if the door is strong and well made.
The Miele seems good but pricey and I've read some dodgy bosch reviews.

Its so hard to choose and its such a boring thing to have to spend so much money on !!

oooggs Mon 26-Nov-12 21:05:23

Love my lg direct drive, 6 of us here and the shortest cycle is 41 min on a 40 degree wash with a 1600 spin. The 30 degree was is shorter again

brighterfuture Mon 26-Nov-12 21:16:33

Thanks Ooogs that sounds like what I am looking for. Is it solid and well made, will the door fall off ? ( this happened to my last one and it was held on by wire for the last 2 years which was a pain in the bum ! )

oooggs Mon 26-Nov-12 21:27:09

Door is fine, it is 3.5 years old now, so you probably looking at a newer model. It's a 8kg F1622GD in White.

I came home from hospital with dc4 and the machine broke that night. I read reviews and shopped online for a new one and liked this one. I ordered it and was told there was a 4 week wait. I was surprised and sake why, it had apparently come top in the Which? report!

Anyway it suits us very well and I would highly recommend it

StuntNun Mon 26-Nov-12 22:15:59

Yeah my LG is solid, no way the doo would fall off. I usually use the 60 minute wash but there is a 30 minute wash that you can set to 40 degrees.

Chanatan Tue 27-Nov-12 06:35:22

Do any of you with the direct drive machines have suspended wooden floors?Its just I,ve read that these machines can be very noisy on these types of floors?(sorry for the hijack OP)

StuntNun Tue 27-Nov-12 08:16:17

Yes Chanatan it makes a racket but our old Hotpoint one did as well. We got rubber cups to put under the feet to reduce the noise. I just put it on during the day or if I need to wash at night I put it on silent wash and leave the spin cycle for the morning which takes 11-15 minutes. The LG definitely cleans clothes much more effectively: it has got stains out, e.g. curry on school uniform that has dried in all day, that I'm pretty sure I would have had to throw out when I had the Hotpoint machine.

valiumredhead Tue 27-Nov-12 08:42:31

Meile all the way! Look on line for good prices, when we got a meile dishwasher recently we managed to knock off £300 iirc just by buying on line.

valiumredhead Tue 27-Nov-12 08:44:53

www.redhillappliances.co.uk/Products.aspx?PRODUCTID=15283

This is the site we used - very good service and good prices.

If you buy that WM you won't have to buy another for the next 15 or so years grin

brighterfuture Tue 27-Nov-12 10:51:57

That looks like a good deal valium unfortunately I am not based in the uk or I might have gone for that ....the Mielle are super expensive here. I generally do try to buy goods made in Germany as they are better made. I am having to wash my clothes without a spin at the moment which is a nightmare. I am just going to have to bit the bullet and buy the Lg I think.... or hang on in there until the after Xmas sales confused

valiumredhead Tue 27-Nov-12 10:53:41

Oh how annoying sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now