Talk

Advanced search

How do I get stale sweat smell out of sports kit?

(15 Posts)
espanol Fri 23-Nov-12 13:24:23

DH and I wash our running kit in bio at 40C but it never quite seems to get the sweaty smell out of the kit. Just taken a load out that doesn't even vaguely smell fresh. Any ideas on what we can try?

ChristmasCountdown Fri 23-Nov-12 13:34:28

I would try bicarb of soda or white vinegar.

MousyMouse Fri 23-Nov-12 13:38:10

dettol desinfectant liquid. just not the pine stuff (stains). dh runs a lot and just washing won't do.
and never use softener on sports stuff.

espanol Fri 23-Nov-12 13:47:31

thanks

sausagesandwich34 Fri 23-Nov-12 13:50:47

soak in bicarb solution with water, in a bucket for a couple of hours then was as normal

vodkaanddietirnbru Fri 23-Nov-12 16:36:21

Halo sports wash is supposed to be good

Floralnomad Fri 23-Nov-12 16:37:32

Spray it with anti bacterial stain remover before you wash it .

BellaTheGymnast Fri 23-Nov-12 16:42:48

Are you washing with powder or liquid? The only thing that gets my stuff smelling clean is Ariel (I think it's called Actilift) powder. The liquid makes the washer and washing smell stale.

valiumredhead Fri 23-Nov-12 17:09:34

Can you not wash it at a higher temp? Do you use bio detergent? It will be more effective than non bio.

CarpeJugulum Fri 23-Nov-12 17:11:43

Napisan.

nothruroad Fri 23-Nov-12 17:33:55

Halo sports wash is the best thing ever for this - I use it on all my clothes now and it's great.

espanol Fri 23-Nov-12 21:43:53

I use bio liquid - i might switch to powder because i have noticed staleness with our washing in general sometimes.

Will check out halo.

Thanks!

brighthair Sat 24-Nov-12 13:53:59

Napisan. Soak it in napisan, then wash but without fabric conditioner (as it holds the smell in)
Can always chuck napisan in the wash as well if you need to. Works brilliantly

ivykaty44 Sun 25-Nov-12 17:18:32

my youngest get a bit teen sweaty in her sports kits some nights and the only easy way I can get rid of the smell is to put in a 50 wash and then line dry, the line drying seems to get rid of dd1's smoke smell (I hate the fact she smokes but she is legally old enough sad) and dd2 sweat smell whereas nothing else seems to touch it.

I tried all sorts in the machine - vinegar, soda etc but nothing seemed to really get rid of the smell.

FoxtrotFoxtrotSierra Sun 25-Nov-12 17:20:25

Vanish Anti Bacterial stuff works wonders (it's the one with the green lid). A scoop in the sports kit wash nukes any lingering sports smells.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: