Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tumble Dryer - Low Heat vs High Heat

(5 Posts)
louisea Thu 22-Nov-12 13:49:48

I don't use my dryer much. Mainly towels, sheets and underwear. The rest goes in the airing cupboard or hangs in the utility room.

Was wondering though ( can't work the cost out for myself) whether it is more efficient to dry items like towels on a high heat for a shorter time or low heat for a longer time. The dryer seems to take 1/5-2 hours to dry a load of towels on low heat. Was actually wondering whether I should get the dryer checked to see if it is working properly.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 22-Nov-12 14:56:49

I really dont know but if you got one of those plug in electricity monitors that would tell you how much the machine uses on each cycle and then you can use whichever uses less.

My feeling though is that they may well come out the same for cost.

louisea Thu 22-Nov-12 15:35:24

Thanks. I'll look at a monitor.

PigletJohn Thu 22-Nov-12 17:48:49

"Which" tests these, and I think the only time they mention low heat is to use it for delicate synthetics. I have seen polypropylene backing on mattress covers melt at high heat.

if it saved money I'm sure they'd say so.

AFAIK the high heat kills moth eggs, mould spores and so on.

Catsmamma Thu 22-Nov-12 17:51:22

I only do cotton on the high heat...really only the towels tbh, it smells funny and over heated if you use hot for anything else

and as PJ said stuff can melt, my ma shrivelled up a bedspread once. ...bit like those crinkle crisp packets we all used to do in the 70s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now