Talk

Advanced search

Boiler trouble help please if you can.

(8 Posts)
JammyDodger1 Wed 21-Nov-12 19:14:19

Sorry I very rarely get off the first page in chat but asked for help with my boiler and was re-directed here, dont know if anyone can help but here goes.
Have got a 7 yearish old Vokera which keeps loosing its water pressure, there is two dial on the front, left is pressure and right is timer, its been a bit temperental for last few weeks where it has lost pressure and we have had to turn a lever underneath the boiler to boost the pressure which seemd to have sorted it out but tonight the heating will not work and when I turn the lever at the bottom it takes ages for the pressure to go back to where it should be and within ten minutes it has lost pressure again.
Any ideas? thanks

BananaPie Wed 21-Nov-12 21:52:23

Sounds like there's a leak in the system somewhere. We had a leaky radiator valve which caused the pressure to drop.

desperateforaholiday Wed 21-Nov-12 22:09:33

Either, a leak on a rad,faulty pressure relief valve or a faulty pressure vessel, if you cant find any leaks it might be worth getting a heating engineer to look at it

JammyDodger1 Thu 22-Nov-12 07:39:10

Thanks, the downstairs radiators are really cold compared to the other ones will check and see if I can see any leaks, just automatically assumed it was the boiler, thanks for your replies. smile

PigletJohn Thu 22-Nov-12 17:50:35

the will be a pressure relief valve which usually emerges through the wall behind the boiler. Go outside and look at it. Is it dripping, or is there a watermark or lime scale on the wall?

JammyDodger1 Thu 22-Nov-12 19:06:20

Hi PigletJohn yes it leaks water out of pipe which runs down between the connection ours and next door neighbours house (thank you for replying so much)

PigletJohn Thu 22-Nov-12 19:52:13

your pressure release valve is leaking. It meeds to be serviced or replaced.

Its purpose is to release excess pressure e.g. if the boiler overheats. Once it has operated, it frequently will not seal tightly again. Sometimes it can be dismantled and cleaned. Most often, though, the cause or operation is that the filling valve has been left connected and open or leaking mains pressure into the boiler. For this reason the filling hose (often covered with flexible metal braid) is provided with a valve to close at each end, and is supposed to be disconnected after refilling and pressurisin the system.

JammyDodger1 Fri 23-Nov-12 07:04:04

Thank you so much will speak to a plumber today with what you say.
I'M not much use at many things but work in motor trade so if you even need advice in that area shout me. Many thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now