Talk

Advanced search

Bath taps and extractor fans

(4 Posts)
Tia4 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:07:48

Any advice for me please? Within the week I need to buy the above items and wonder whether it's worth paying a lot for taps (we just have over the bath mixer taps and shower hose)? How much would you be looking to pay if you want them to last? Also, I really need an effective extractor to handle the steam generated when we have a shower. Any recommendations?

Did you know that, in the case of bathing as opposed to showering, if you run an inch or two of cold water in the bath before adding hot - no steamy bathroom smile

Thanks, Tia

PigletJohn Tue 20-Nov-12 10:21:57

how is your hot water heated? Do you have a combi boiler or a hot water cylinder? Is there a cold water tank in the loft?

have you already got an extractor fan fitted? where is it? is it above the bath or shower? does it seem to be powerful?

Tia4 Tue 20-Nov-12 15:56:20

Hi there! We have a boiler in the kitchen and hot water is stored in a cylinder in the airing cupboard. The cold water tank is in the loft. We have an extractor fitted in the bathroom ceiling above the sink but it's only ducted into the loft and I worry about it creating condensation up there especially as we've just had it all insulated properly - the extractor doesn't seem powerful to me.

Thanks for coming in on this! Tia.

PigletJohn Tue 20-Nov-12 18:16:14

it's only ducted into the loft

shock eeeek! shock

You need to get it ducted outside, probably out of the eaves but if there is no gap you can core-drill a hole in a gable wall. Otherwise you will get condensation, wet and rot in the roof timbers, and your roof will fall down.

While you are at it, if you think your current fan is ineffective, get a better one.

Flop loft insulation over the duct to prevent the steam condensing in it. The duct should mostly tilt downwards towards the exit so any condensation drips outside

examples
in-line extractor another these are much more powerful than the extractor&fh_start_index=20&fh_sort_by=-price&fhSearchParams=&fh_view_size=20&customPrice=&priceFrom=&priceTo=&priceFilterOn= ordinary in-wall ones and are usually mounted above the ceiling. Look at the extract rate. nominal 80 cu metres per hour is the lowest normal power.

duct

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now