Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you don't use one of the big six electricity suppliers, who do you use and do you rate them?

(23 Posts)
RumBaaBaa Mon 19-Nov-12 19:38:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bunbaker Mon 19-Nov-12 19:46:23

We use Utility Warehouse for gas, electricity, broadband, phone and line rental. We also have solar panels and get £££ off our bills every 3 months grin

RumBaaBaa Mon 19-Nov-12 19:52:41

Yorky Mon 19-Nov-12 20:01:11

Another vote for utility warehouse - they pay more for our solar generated power than other companies, very kind smile

RumBaaBaa Mon 19-Nov-12 20:04:36

I'm also Utility Warehouse. No solar panels though. I think they great if you get everything from them and the cashback card saves us loads. We booked a holiday on it this year and our bill that onrh was £3 grin. If we use the card for as much as possible we usually save £15 - £20 month and we don't buy much.

onrh? Month!

RumBaaBaa Mon 19-Nov-12 20:16:56

stargirl1701 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:19:49

I was appalled with the Utility Warehouse. They were the suppliers of the house we moved into (which we were initially unaware of) but I had swapped to Scottish Hydro before we moved - they took over supply when I moved in. We had a letter from UW saying welcome to the house and to contact them if we were interested in staying with them. I wasn't so ignored the letter.

Two weeks later I received a threatening letter saying I must contact them to set up payments. I phoned and explained the supplier had been switched. They wouldn't believe me!!!! It took 15 min on the phone being transferred around before I could get someone to check who the meter was now registered with. Hmmm, SH, as I bloody well said!!!

Cue two weeks later we got another threatening letter this time saying we would be disconnected if we didn't pay. I hit the roof. I phoned and explained at some length the total inappropriate and unacceptable tone of their letter which, under Scots law, was illegal. You cannot be 'cut off' just have your meter replaced with a pre-payment meter. Again I was told it would be sorted out.

Cue a month - another bloody threatening letter. I involved my MP at this point. That put an end to it. Bloody shocking. What if these letters went to a vulnerable elderly person without the confidence to pick up the phone and/or involve an MP.

We've stayed with Scottish Hydro. I've no idea if they are cheaper than UW but their call centre is in the city I live in and they understand Scots law. A pleasure to do business with.

<rant over>

Vivalebeaver Mon 19-Nov-12 20:23:51

I've just switched to Ovo. Well I'm kind of in the o mans land of waiting to go over, seems to be taking ages and I'm not sure why. They get good reviews though.

RumBaaBaa Mon 19-Nov-12 20:30:15

bureni Mon 19-Nov-12 20:32:05

I use N.I.E simply because they are the sole supplier in my part of the U.K

Bunbaker Mon 19-Nov-12 20:43:30

According to Which the top energy suppliers are:
1. Good Energy
2. Utility Warehouse
3. Ecotricity
4. Ovo energy
5. Ebico
6. Marks & Spencer

ILikeToMowIt Mon 19-Nov-12 20:44:08

We are with Ovo. Am neither positive nor negative about them. They are just the least worst out of the bunch that we have dealt with so far: n-power, eon, BG, Scottish power etc etc.

What you should be aware of though, is that Ovo love having you in credit. I am not talking few pounds here, but masses of it. They review your direct debit every so many months, and usually want to increase it whether you are in debit/credit does not seem to matter. They do send you a warning, that you need to tell them before such date that you do not want them to do this, but then do it anyway. It takes a few angry emails and phone calls when they tell you that "no having a >£100 credit after having your account with them for only 3 months is just to build up credit for the winter months" and of course it "makes sense to then increase the DD to £60 if your monthly spend is £40". They do not seem particularly strong at maths..

If you keep a good eye on your usage and what DD they are charging you they are fine... Although getting them to refund overcharges takes several months (when we moved they had to close our old account and open a new one at our new address. they could do that no problem, but refunding the £800 (!) credit that we had accumulated on the old account took them almost 3 months).

Vivalebeaver Mon 19-Nov-12 21:11:07

Yes, I'm slightly hacked off with Ovo about this already.

Currently pay £76 a month to Scottish power and am £300 in credit. Though I have come to the end of a fixed period, so prices have gone up.

Ovo quoted me £84 a month on uswitch. So switched, they then emailed me saying direct debit would be £106 a month. We've negotiated down to £95 a month.

I can tell them exactly how many kw I've used in the last 12 months and according to their price per kw I don't need to pay this much but like you say they want you to be in credit.

RumBaaBaa Mon 19-Nov-12 21:29:15

ILikeToMowIt Mon 19-Nov-12 21:41:25

Yes, they use some very odd calculation method: there is a £170 difference in the spend they calculate for our account based on their ridiculous usage numbers and the cost for actual annual kWh usage.

I refuse to pay in £20 per month extra just to see my balance grow. I'd much rather spend that on something else. When I called them to complain about them increasing the DD without my consent, they kept saying that they like the account to be by 2 months in credit (which it was..)

ILikeToMowIt Mon 19-Nov-12 21:43:51

i just found loco2 energy on uswitch. they have some 100% renewable plans, that look quite good. we are not due to switch ourselves until mid next year, as we are fixed until then. but will definitely consider renewables at that point.

RumBaaBaa Mon 19-Nov-12 21:47:05

monkeyroo Mon 19-Nov-12 22:06:55

I'm with Good Energy, have been for a good few years and I can't fault them. Their customer sevice is brilliant, always a cheerful actual real person at the end of
the phone, and an informative newsletter every now and again - I like that they seem very involved in trying to influence government policy too.

RumBaaBaa Mon 19-Nov-12 22:26:04

wohmum Mon 19-Nov-12 22:31:17

I'm with Ovo and have had no problems. I did run up a credit of £300 , but they paid it to me within 10 day of being asked.
I actually quite like using at as bit of a savings account smile

Ponders Mon 19-Nov-12 22:35:44

we used to use Ebico - they are not-for-profit, & charge the same to all, including coin meters, which is admirable

but their charges became gradually way higher than others (despite the not-for-profit bit - presumably they are ploughing all that back in) & I switched about 2 years ago, saving - nominally - a decent amount, although shortly after that they all put their prices up so who knows confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now