Talk

Advanced search

Why can't I get my a**e into gear?

(2 Posts)
AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 09-Nov-12 11:32:03

I am at home today with nothing else to do except housework - which is badly needed.
I used to be extremely houseproud in my old flats and the house was never more than 5 minutes away from being ready for guests. But I just can't seem to do that here.
I read somewhere that it's much more difficult to keep a house clean if it doesn't feel like home and I think that may be the problem. This is the first house I've bought where I let my head rule my heart. And now that H and I have split up I'm stuck with it for the time being at least.
So how do I make it feel like home? I've tried changing things around a bit -
different pictures and ornaments but don't have any money to spend on major changes.
Any ideas before I spend the rest of my life on MN surrounded by my own squalor!

FireOverBabylon Fri 09-Nov-12 11:39:26

Do something radical in a room, such as the living room. clear all the stuff out, take own net curtains, move the sofa, buy a side lamp or rug, just something to give the room a new outlook. go for a new coat of paint if you can, even if it's just for one wall. If you have a cupboard, how does it look with the doors off, just to give a different look, are there any bits you could get off freecycle - new table etc?

Then start to put things back slowly. If they remind you of your ex, send them to the charity shop. Just do one room at a time, and maybe set up a mood board inthe meantime, with clippings of pictures that you like showing colours, ornaments etc so you know what you're working towards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now