Talk

Advanced search

Why does my washing machine smell?

(16 Posts)
Murtette Thu 08-Nov-12 16:43:20

My washing machine smells and has done since last Saturday. I have done all of the tricks that I can think of - taken out the drawer and cleaned it; wiped all around the inside of the door; done a hot wash with soda crystals or whatever they're called; had the door wide open whenever possible so it gets a chance to air - and it hasn't made a difference. It still smells and so do the clothes that have been washed in there in the past week. Its a damp, musty smell.

What else can I do?

DelGirl Thu 08-Nov-12 16:46:56

Are you using liquid wash? If so, stop, it makes machines stink. If not, not sure, run a hot wash with white vinegar in.

CMOTDibbler Thu 08-Nov-12 16:48:07

I do a boil wash with dishwasher tablets, then another with nothing in when my machine gets smelly. Sorts it out a treat

DelGirl Thu 08-Nov-12 16:48:09

I mean liquitabs

caramelgirl Thu 08-Nov-12 17:09:38

I have to drain any build up of musty water out.
On my machine there is a little hatch on the bottom of the front, open it up and let the gunk out.
<wanders off to gently remind husband that we he NEED to do this soon>

PigletJohn Thu 08-Nov-12 20:19:34

yes, empty out the filter and scrub the grooves in the door seal, BUT

when you give it a 90 degrees hot wash with no clothes, no soap, just a cup of washing soda, it will start to break down the old soap sludge. It may not remove it all in one go. If the water foams up and goes grey, that is the old soap sludge dissolving. Do it again until it stays clear.

mumzy Thu 08-Nov-12 22:31:18

Engineer told me its because we use non bio detergent and wash at low temps. Need to regularly run machine with bio detergent and at least 40 degrees

Murtette Fri 09-Nov-12 10:10:39

I've used powder in the detergent drawers for ages now. I will do some more hot washes & see what happens. DP tried to be helpful & took the washing out as soon as the cycle finished yesterday and then shut the door & I didn't notice until this morning!!

XBenedict Fri 09-Nov-12 10:13:32

Top tips here! How about the tumble drier? If I tumble dry my clothes even though they are dry they can still have a damp smell IYKWIM any tips?

PigletJohn Fri 09-Nov-12 11:08:57

they are probably picking up mould from inside the washer. What temp do yiu use (1) to wash (2) to clean the washer?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 10-Nov-12 12:15:14

I'm doing a 90 wash in our spare washing machine (long story it doesnt belong to me) and the water is full of suds and grey.

Just vile. I can myself doing it more than once to get it clean.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 10-Nov-12 22:06:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

XBenedict Sun 11-Nov-12 15:54:57

I use liquid, will be changing to powder! Thanks for the tips, just want my tumble drier to smell nice now.

If I don't td the clothes they smell fresh so it must be something I haven't cleaned properly in the TD.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 11-Nov-12 16:01:26

I put mine in the drum not the drawer.

That could change as I've told DH to do his own damn washing so I dont know how he intends to use the machine.

PigletJohn Sun 11-Nov-12 17:12:37

XBenedict

you do of course keep the fluff filter clean.

Is it a condensor, or, what route does the hose take, and is it heavy as if steam has condensed in it?

XBenedict Sun 11-Nov-12 17:18:36

It"s a condenser. I clean the fluffer thing almost everytime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now