Talk

Advanced search

casting pearls before swine?

(6 Posts)
pourmeanotherglass Wed 07-Nov-12 15:06:44

I'm thinking of converting our loft to make a lovely new bedroom for the messiest member of the household (dd2, age 8). She is currently in a very small room, so there is no space for anything more than a bed, a built-in cupboard, a bedside cabinet, and boxes under her bed for some of her stuff.

So are we casting pearls before swine, or is this a fantastic opportunity to improve her organisational skills by giving her a little bit more space?

I've just tidied her room, but before this I couldn't get into her room, as there was not an inch of empty carpet. It was full of books, papers, toys and junk. She has some bookshelves in the hallway outside her room, and a desk in her sister's (much bigger) room, so she does have places to put stuff.

Anyone out there managed to tame a chaotic 8 year old and teach them to organise themselves?

dreamingofsun Wed 07-Nov-12 16:13:59

no, but i've untamed a child. one of mine moved to a larger room when their older brother left for uni and they changed from being really tidy to very untidy.

the older, really untidy one is really untidy whatever size room they have. it makes no difference.

dreamingofsun Wed 07-Nov-12 16:15:07

i've also found that however many cupboards etc you provide for an untidy child they will still use the floor in preference.

pourmeanotherglass Wed 07-Nov-12 20:05:06

Now that wasn't the answer I was hoping for!

I was thinking if there was space for a dirty washing basket in her room she might actually use it - Her tidy sister is quite happy to use the one in my room, and folds her pyjamas under her pillow but DD2 just strews stuff everywhere

dreamingofsun Wed 07-Nov-12 22:05:52

2 things worked best in my experience.

1. if they couldn't find something they would tidy sometimes - so hide things they like or use regularly
2. encourage sleepovers - if there's not enough space on the floor for someone to sleep they have to tidy a bit at least.

Or just kick anything overflowing out of their room back in and close the door

hiddenhome Fri 09-Nov-12 20:54:36

We're having to move ds1 (14) down from his attic bedroom because he didn't keep it clean. It used to really get on top of me having to trail to the top of the house to clear up. I dreaded going up the stairs every week tbh.

If you plan on doing this, then really mark heavy time on her.

I would also recommend laminate/wood instead of carpet. They ruin carpet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now