Talk

Advanced search

KitchenAid for a beginner baker ???

(35 Posts)
BeaLola Tue 06-Nov-12 14:22:29

Hi,

Are they best suited to experienced cooks or if you are new at it all eg cakes, bread making will it be worth its wait (or cost !) jn gold ???

MadameCastafiore Tue 06-Nov-12 14:24:39

It is worth it's weight in gold in this house - not bragging but I am cake master and bake for all of my friends as they reckon my cakes are so much better than theirs - I think this is all down to my kitchen aid. If you can afford one get one.

PoppyAmex Tue 06-Nov-12 15:45:20

I adore mine and it does so much more than cakes!

I make speciality bread dough on mine and things like soft pretzels, scones and even pizza dough. Suddenly all those faff-y recipes take minutes and you can get on with doing other stuff while it works.

Isandri Tue 06-Nov-12 16:21:20

It might be worth considering a kenwood chef major. They have a more powerful motor and you can get more attachments to plug into them. Whichever one you buy they are wonderful for making bread.

Pesephone Fri 09-Nov-12 13:21:35

I personally feel that for the money your better off with a Kenwood, i have a Kmix which is there kinda Kitchenaid equivalent and it outstripped the KA in both Which and Good housekeeping's trials, has a more powerful motor, is cheaper as are the attachments and is British. Kenwoods customer service is excellent too. I adore mine, I use it for cakes, bread, mirangue (sp) yorkshire puddings, whicpping cream, etc and I plan on buying the mincer/sausage maker attachemt too.

Vajazzler Fri 09-Nov-12 13:36:00

Get one! There will be people telling you how long their granny's kenwood has been going or whatever but nothing beats the KitchenAid! They are beautiful objects of desire that are also fabulously well functioning. Couldn't live without mine. The only trouble you'll have is deciding which colour to go for.

wrinklyraisin Fri 07-Dec-12 18:12:53

I'm getting one for Xmas. A bright red shiny gorgeous thing!!! Can't wait to bake yummy goodies each week. I've wanted one for years, am stupidly excited about it!

GwendolineMaryLacedwithBrandy Fri 07-Dec-12 18:14:36

I'm a pretty new baker and i got a KA in the summer. I was really worried I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost but when I thought about it last weekend I worked out I had used it at least every other day for as far back as I could remember. I do have the slicing/grating attachment though and I use that heaps.

GwendolineMaryLacedwithBrandy Fri 07-Dec-12 18:16:25

My advice about the colour is be adventurous. I chose Candy Apple red which is gorgeous but was the most 'neutral' of all the colours except white. Now I'm gutted I didn't go for Grape or Apple Cider sad

Startail Fri 07-Dec-12 18:20:11

My mum'sthe serious baker and she swears by her Kenwood. It must be approaching 40.

Mine's a mer upstart of 22 and not used anything like as much. Although it has just squired a splendid mincer, 1/2 price from ARGOS

Kitchen aids are pretty, expensive, upstarts.

Witchety Fri 07-Dec-12 18:20:55

Gwendoline can I ask where to get the grater/slicer? I think that's what I need along with the flexi beater edge thingy someone recommended before

Witchety Fri 07-Dec-12 18:23:00

I have candy apple red too.... What colours do the kenwoods come in startail?

BrianButterfield Fri 07-Dec-12 18:26:13

The thing about the power of the motor is misleading as the KA is direct drive whereas the Kenwoods are belt-driven so lose power. KAs are so much nicer looking and you can throw as many Which? reports at me as you want, it's not and never will be crap. It is fab! Whatever the Kenwood does or doesn't have in comparison, I couldn't care less as I love my KA so much. I'd go for gorgeous+good over servicable+very good any way.

VestaCurry Fri 07-Dec-12 18:34:47

Kenwood. Sold my kitchen aid to put the money towards one after using a friend's Kenwood when staying with her.

GwendolineMaryLacedwithBrandy Fri 07-Dec-12 18:40:34

I got mine from Amazon. Much as i would like some of the other attachments they would be just for fun but the shredder I use all the time. I think it's paid for itself with the amount of bags of grated cheese I used to buy!

Witchety Fri 07-Dec-12 20:02:38

Thanks Gwendoline!

crochetqueen Fri 07-Dec-12 21:08:35

LOVE my kitchen aid....Had it now for 7 months and was not much of a bread maker. Now I'm happy to try things and have had lots of success....but
lobe it for cakes, meringues, pizza dough etc. It sits on the side so that it's accessible and means I use it loads.I've an apple cider one which is neutralish but looks great with cream kitchen. I still have my 20yr old magimix which comes out for coleslaw and pastry !

crochetqueen Fri 07-Dec-12 21:09:16

Love it of course...not sure of a 'lobe'....

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 07-Dec-12 21:21:32

We've just got the pasta extruder. It's fantastic. I also use the shredder grater attachment loads. It's really big and easy to clean.

I am slowly going over to it for bread making but I find it a bit frustrating changing the hook from mixer to dough hook, something I don't have to do in the Panasonic bread machine.

I think they're a good practical kitchen item and I don't see them suddenly loosing popularity so if you shop around to get the best price you will no doubt be able to eBay it if you don't get on with it for almost as much as you paid for it.

I got mine off eBay for £140 BIN it's a current model K5(light commercial) rather than tilt head.

I really like the steel bowl as it doesn't stain with food colouring (tis the season of dyed salt dough for school decorations) and takes a bashing well, like when it falls off the drainer.

It's almost worth having a mini break to the USA to buy your attachments they're so much cheaper. I did find I could get them cheaper from shopping around in Europe my pasta extruder was just over £100 from Italy via eBay, from the UK I couldn't get it for less than £180.

GwendolineMaryLacedwithBrandy Fri 07-Dec-12 21:50:44

Does the Flex edge beater make much of a difference to the normal one? i do look at it sometimes and wonder...

BrianButterfield Fri 07-Dec-12 22:14:17

I find my KA makes fab pastry!

I wonder about the flex beater as well.

I have the meat grinder as we eat a lot of mince-based things and I like to mince my own braising steak instead of buying mince. It's no cheaper but it's very nice. I want the shredder/slicer one day, and the ice-cream maker.

BrianButterfield Fri 07-Dec-12 22:14:52

Did you all know you can mash potatoes in it? LIFE CHANGING.

GwendolineMaryLacedwithBrandy Fri 07-Dec-12 22:18:33

Ooh yes, i love making mash in it. I threw out my masher and ricer the day I discovered that. I bloody hate cleaning potato mashers!

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 07-Dec-12 22:18:42

I just got the icecream maker from Debenhams using all the discount codes on the Christmas bargains thread. It worked out just over £50.

memphis83 Fri 07-Dec-12 22:35:33

What attatchment would you use to mash potato in it?
I love baking, have dreamed of owning a KA and bought one last month, my cakes have totally changed and now I have got a list of friends and family orders for cakes for over christmas.... I have gained 3 pounds since I bougt one from all the cakes I have made!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: