Talk

Advanced search

Miele Cat & Dog - When to change dustbag?

(20 Posts)
toomanyeasterbunnies Tue 06-Nov-12 11:18:27

I've recently bought a Miele hoover and didn't pay any attention to what colour the dust bag indicator was when I was using it. But I am now wandering if I should change it as it's had quite a bit of use and now the whole indicator is showing an orange colour. The manual says to wait until the colour on the indicator to change but it doesn't what colour it needs to be. Sorry if this is a really dumb question! blush

CiderwithBuda Tue 06-Nov-12 11:37:36

You need to change it now! Orange means full.

I have just filled mine too!

toomanyeasterbunnies Tue 06-Nov-12 11:43:36

Thank you Cider!!

toomanyeasterbunnies Tue 06-Nov-12 11:52:44

Hmm...I've just changed it and it still is showing orange - about 3/4 of the indicator is orange. Is this normal?

Poledra Tue 06-Nov-12 11:56:39

Are you using it with the motorised brush on it? For the indicator to work properly, you need to put on the 'ordinary' head (the one without the rotating brush), then use it on a normal carpet, and the indicator will read accurately then.

<smug reader-of-instructions emoticon> wink

toomanyeasterbunnies Tue 06-Nov-12 14:16:56

Hi Poledra - yes I did change the head on it and also lifted it off the carpet. When I lifted it off, half of the orange indicator was showing so I don't know if that is what it's supposed to do. I think I will have to contact them.

I just open mine to check. The indicator has a mind of its own.

spicandspan Tue 06-Nov-12 14:23:04

Yes my indicator shoes half orange with a new bag in. I just ignore it.

toomanyeasterbunnies Tue 06-Nov-12 19:50:28

OK - just looks like the indicator is a bit temperamental. Will ignore and use my own judgement.

Thanks for all your responses.

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Tue 06-Nov-12 19:54:10

When it stops sucking I change mine grin

Sometimes if i can't be arsed to get new bags I pull some off the vast quantities of dog fluff out into the bin and then it lasts a few more days

The orange indicator thingy often goes right across if its got the whizzy brush end on

Fadqueen Tue 06-Nov-12 19:56:35

Oh, I was getting really hopeful then........in a 'this way to enlightenment' kind of way. I found the bag indicator a challenge, just thought it was me being a bit dense as I hate reading any sort of manual

I've had my new Miele cat and dog one week and I solemnly declare my love for it. The Dyson scales have well and truly fallen away from my eyes.

TheDetective Tue 06-Nov-12 19:59:31

My indicator lied. Consistantly.

Twatty Miele! Chucked it for a Dyson. Which is much better for us!

Grockle Tue 06-Nov-12 20:27:22

Really? I have a miele eco something or other which is awful with dog hair. I think I need to upgrade - will the miele cat & dog one cut it? I'm fed up pf hoovering and there still being a layer of hair all over the carpet.

TheDetective Tue 06-Nov-12 20:30:31

I had a Miele Cat and Dog - was 4 years old, and had always been ok to a certain degree, but once I got the dog a year ago it just ceased to work properly despite being cared for and serviced! In the end I was using the friggin' upholstery brush and hoovering on my hands and knees daily, spending 2 hours to do the whole house!!

Anyway, it is now sitting in the shed, and my Dyson Animal (model 41) is proudly being pushed around the living room by DP - who now finds hoovering a joy apparantly grin.

I have a longish pile carpet and a hairy lab though.... it isn't good on hard floors. But fab on the carpet!

Grockle Tue 06-Nov-12 20:40:09

Oh, really? I do the hands and knees thing with the stair thingy. Perhaps I need to look into Dyson again. I've not had one since the original that was made in the UK.

I ditched my dyson for the cat&dog. I have hard floors and a flat carpet, though. It is fabulous.

TheDetective Tue 06-Nov-12 21:09:59

I reckon the Miele is good for hard floors, where as the Dyson is better on carpets.

Just my observations though!

Grockle Tue 06-Nov-12 21:11:02

Miele beats DYson hands down on Which?

troubador Tue 06-Nov-12 21:18:58

I love my Miele Cat and Dog. Didn't realise there was a bag fullness indicator though blush I just change it when it's bulging with dog hair and toast crusts full.

I have hard floors and flat carpets too and it's much better for me than the Dyson was.

TheDetective Tue 06-Nov-12 21:19:15

Mine didn't!

Well the Miele is stuck in the shed, and the Dyson sits all proud in the living room grin

Seriously, I think it is down to the type of flooring. My thick pile carpets appreciate the Dyson more!

The Miele was so crap I actually thought about getting rid of the carpets because I figured if the Miele couldn't cope with them, nothing could. Glad I spent £320 on the Dyson, than £2k replacing all the flooring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now