Talk

Advanced search

Paint bubbling and peeling from shower room ceiling AGAIN!!!

(12 Posts)
fruitnfibre Mon 05-Nov-12 22:53:48

Our house is 6 years old and in that time we have had to re paint the ceiling in our shower room 3 times due to it flaking and bubbling.
I got a painter in the last time and asked for advice he said to paint it in egg shell paint which he did, that was last year and the ceiling is looking awful.
I keep the window open in this room all day and when in the shower the extractor fan is used, what am I doing wrong? do others have this problem?

PigletJohn Tue 06-Nov-12 00:55:15

sounds like the extractor fan is not up to the job. If you hold a joss-stick under it, or invite an old tramp to hold his disgusting lit fag there, does the fan whisk the smoke away, and does it come out of the vent outisde?

Does water spray on the ceiling?

fruitnfibre Tue 06-Nov-12 08:23:54

No water doesn`t spray on the ceiling and its not just the area above the shower that`s affected the whole ceiling appears soaking wet!!!
I looked at the extractor fan this morning and it`s exactly what you thought not much whisking of air going on there.
Will I have to replace the fan? I thought leaving the window open would have helped.... no?

PolterGoose Tue 06-Nov-12 08:29:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fruitnfibre Tue 06-Nov-12 08:50:37

We bought the house when it was a year old, like a lot of new build we found and keep finding faults...???? due to short cuts being taken don`t know!!!
But the paint work through out the house was pretty bad wouldn`t surprise me if the plaster wasn`t coated properly...
Would sanding the worst off the bubbling, peeling off then coating it and repainting be ok? or would I have to take it back to the plaster?? and is that possible?????

noisytoys Tue 06-Nov-12 09:58:10

I recently painted wet walls with ronseal anti damp paint haven't had a problem since its so dry now

fruitnfibre Tue 06-Nov-12 11:33:48

Just looked at the product online looks good - I`m planning sanding the worst off then painting it with this, thanks for info noisytoys.

dreamingofsun Tue 06-Nov-12 14:02:52

before repainting you should sort the extractor out though and get as high a powered one as possible - electrician can do this. we have same problem as you - though peeling paint now sorted by electrician and decorator using suitable paint. we just get mould now

bureni Tue 06-Nov-12 14:07:09

a simple solution is to cover the ceiling in any of the cheap and readily available PVC products otherwise you will be painting the ceiling forever, a more powerful fan will help but the pvc is a lot less hassle and a permanent job.

fruitnfibre Tue 06-Nov-12 14:19:58

Bureni thats what my dad said...ok agree fan to get looked at first then look into PVC...maybe I`ll just ban showers go for daily washes and a Sunday bath!!!!!!

ItsNotMyName Tue 06-Nov-12 14:30:50

I presume above the shower is the loft? If so go up into the loft and check to see if it is insulated above the bathroom. If there is insufficient insulation, then water will condense on the ceiling as it is colder than the air in the bathroom.

If this is the problem then even getting stronger ventilation will not help as this will carry on happening.

fruitnfibre Tue 06-Nov-12 20:32:51

Thanks for all the suggestions now need to action them!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now