Talk

Advanced search

Henry Hoover just stopped working - dead and buried?

(7 Posts)
nkf Sun 04-Nov-12 11:31:33

Just stopped. Well, sort of whirred down and died. Checked online and they are around £100. Mine was about 10 years old. Does that sound about right? I presume they can't be fixed. Anyone know?

Fenton Sun 04-Nov-12 11:39:38

Could just be the fuse, there's not a lot else to go wrong with them, do you pull out the entire lead when you use it?

nkf Sun 04-Nov-12 11:43:52

Usually yes. Do you think it might be worth trying to change the plug?

Fenton Sun 04-Nov-12 11:50:54

Yes worth a go or just the fuse in the plug if you can (some of them are sealed units) , also get the filter out and give it a good bash outside, and check all the pipes etc, it may cut out because of a blockage.

Fenton Sun 04-Nov-12 11:52:08

And do always pull out the whole lead.

Gorja Sun 04-Nov-12 11:54:06

Mine died, I unscrewed the lids and let everything cool down. Gave the pipes and tubes colonic irrigation, then put it back together and it had worked perfectly since.

Fingers crossed for you.

PigletJohn Sun 04-Nov-12 13:32:04

I don't know Henrys

start with the fuse in the plug

look in the instructions to see if it has a thermal cutout (especially if you had been using it for long enough to get warm, and/or you have not been keeping the motor filter clean and/or it has a blockage

there is a faint chance it might be the switch

otherwise I would suspect the electronics controlling the motor speed, which modern vacs usually have. It might be possible to repair or replace it, but you would have to find someone familar with repairing Henrys.

I remember seeing online a Henry repair video to change (I think) a faulty cord rewind, so the parts are probably available if you know what's wrong and how to change it.

Otherwise a new one is on the cards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now