Talk

Advanced search

What's the alternative (inexpensive) to soap powder in washing machine drawer?

(19 Posts)
MaggieW Sun 04-Nov-12 11:17:35

For various reasons I can't use the soap powder drawer on the washing machine so need either liquid or powder that can go directly into the drum with the clothes. What would you recommend please?

AndrewD Sun 04-Nov-12 12:22:47

We use these at all temperatures. You put 5 or 6 soap nuts in a cotton bag. Tie it up and put it in the drum with the washing. Keep using until the nuts are soft. Usually after about 3 or 4 washes.

http://www.soapnuts.co.uk/

PigletJohn Sun 04-Nov-12 12:37:56

"Which" tells me that soap nuts are no more effective than sloshing your clothes around in hot water, so they get dirtier and dirtier.

You can put the scoop of washing powder through the porthole of the washing machine. I do that, it prevents damp soap clogging the drawer and slot.

MaggieW Sun 04-Nov-12 13:53:56

Thanks both. Piglet do you find that the washing powder bleaches the clothes at all when put on directly?

PigletJohn Sun 04-Nov-12 14:11:09

I tip it in immediately before turning on the machine, so it gets churned up and mixed with the water and clothes. I haven't seen any patchiness.

For darks and colours, I often use a liquid that does not contain bleach, I use powder for whites.

You used to be able to get a plastic dosing ball free from Persil and presumably other makers, that you fill up and put in the drum.

brighthair Sun 04-Nov-12 14:14:15

I use all my liquids/powder in the drum as I ahem cba cleaning the drawer. Tend to use persil or surf liquid and had no problems

LeBFG Sun 04-Nov-12 14:18:11

I use the soap nuts on my pooey reusable nappies and they are still clean and fresh smelling months later grin. I do use and recommend vinegar too to help remove smells and keep fabric soft.

I once used Ecover directly in the drum and this stained the clothes terribly so be careful OP.

forevergreek Sun 04-Nov-12 14:21:06

An Eco egg

Mintyy Sun 04-Nov-12 14:23:09

I sometimes use washing tablets - they are supposed to go in the drum. I think some of them say put them in first then clothes on top then switch on. The liquitabs are all designed to go in the drum.

AndrewD Sun 04-Nov-12 16:14:26

We have used soap nuts for several years. We are a family of 4 with active young boy and girl.
Never had any issues or complaints that the clothes are not clean or smell.

Which magazine is just that... a magazine. I actually use the product. Perhaps that carries more weight!

CarpeJugulum Sun 04-Nov-12 16:27:36

Fairy non bio liquid has a dosing cap thing on the top. Mil just bungs it in the machine.

smokinaces Sun 04-Nov-12 16:30:18

I use Persil non bio liquid. currently £6 for a bottle instead of £10 in Tesco. Gets all my clothes clean on a 40 wash - even with two very muddy boys aged 4 and 6.

smokinaces Sun 04-Nov-12 16:30:47

and it comes with a dosing cup you stick straight in the drum.

PolterGoose Mon 05-Nov-12 14:27:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MackerelOfFact Mon 05-Nov-12 14:31:36

Any of the gel ones are designed to go straight into the drum, as are tablets and liquitabs. TBH I think you can put more or less any liquid in the drum in a little container and it'll be fine.

GrandPoohBah Mon 05-Nov-12 16:31:59

Aldi liquid gel goes directly into the drum.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 05-Nov-12 16:41:15

I use soap nuts and think they work well.

lljkk Tue 06-Nov-12 10:05:02

I am same as PolterGoose. No dosing ball, just pour the powder on top within the drum and start machine. No problems. Been doing that for years. Liquid Ecover on cycling clothes fine, too. We use Bio powder & wash at 30.

lljkk Tue 06-Nov-12 10:05:36

I use soda crystals but soap nuts didn't work for us (months of trying).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now