Talk

Advanced search

Should I get a tumble dryer?

(13 Posts)
Whenisitmysleepytime Sat 03-Nov-12 11:00:29

We are moving and although we won't have space in the kitchen for a tumble drier we will have a garage.

The garage isn't attached to the house - you get in/ out via the garage door at the front.

Would I be a bit loopy to be taking washing in/ out the garage?

Fwiw I seem to have the washer on everyday (me, dh and 2 dc under 4 means a fair bit of washing) and only get it all dried by putting it on radiators ATM.

What do you think?

Tia smile

PigletJohn Sat 03-Nov-12 13:26:14

Hanging washing on radiators or draped around the house is the main cause of condensation, damp and mould in British houses; so if you can afford a drier, get one. It will cost about 60p of electricity for a full load of cotton washing, and correspondingly less for smaller or lighter synthetic loads.

Vented driers are simpler, so usually more reliable and cheaper to buy, than condensing ones.

You can hire a Core Drill to make a neat round hole in the garage wall for the duct to go through. Don't steam into the garage or all the metal tools will go rusty.

I got one of these recently, it is a Which Best Buy, and JL gave me a 2-year warranty, free delivery, and gave me £30 discount trade-in for my old broken one.

I calculated that the electricity I would save by buying a more energy-efficient heat-pump model, would take me over ten years to compensate for the higher purchase price.

PigletJohn Sat 03-Nov-12 13:28:04

one of these I mean

SoulTrain Sat 03-Nov-12 13:58:57

My Mum has a tumble dryer in her garage and ours is in our shed. Doesn't pose a problem for us!

Back2Two Sat 03-Nov-12 14:02:47

Oh I want one SO much.
I stop myself because of "the environment".....so piglet, is the JL one not as energy efficient as a heat pump one you mean?

Whenisitmysleepytime Sat 03-Nov-12 14:06:44

Hmmm interesting.

Now can someone knowledgable explain the difference between vented and condensing ones. I'm assuming one needs a vent and one doesn't but what else does it mean? confused

MousyMouse Sat 03-Nov-12 14:19:08

condensing means that the steam from the clothes is cooled down and collected (or in some cases drained away in a drain pipe). a condenser could in principle be put anywhere where it could be plugged in, does need ventilation (open window) though as some steam will still escape.

vented means that the steam is vented to the outside via a big pipe and therefore needs a hole for the pipe. can (obviously) only be put near an outside wall.

can you put an extractor fan into the garage and put your airers/a line in there?

PigletJohn Sat 03-Nov-12 14:56:01

Back2Two

This heat-pump condensingtumble drier costs £730 and Which say it costs £40 in electricity a year to run for a family of four.

This vented one costs £289 and Which say it costs £94 in electricity a year to run.

At £54 a year difference, you would have to keep the drier for almost 9 years (ignoring inflation and maintenance) to break even. It would vary with how many people in your household, and if you use the line in summer.

(John Lewis must calculate it in a different way as their usages are much closer)

Back2Two Sat 03-Nov-12 19:51:45

Thanks piglet.
I cannot wait to revolutionise my life grin

Lavenderhoney Sat 03-Nov-12 19:56:30

Yes! It will change your life. Unless you already have a dishwasher and are used to having your life revolutionisedsmile plus a washing machine that does a quick wash of 30 mins..

Omg I am really tragicsmile

PigletJohn Sat 03-Nov-12 19:59:21

both of them are Which best buys.

Can you guess which I bought?

Whenisitmysleepytime Sat 03-Nov-12 20:17:49

I'm guessing the vented one - it'd take about 5yrs to cost the same as the initial outlay for the condensing one? Is that right?

I've just had another look at the pics for the house we're buying and there's a cupboard next to the washer. I could take the cupboard out, install a vent to the outside and have a tumble drier - couldnt I?

I already have a dishwasher and I love how that has revolutionised my life! grin

Back2Two Sun 04-Nov-12 20:07:20

Ok I've ordered mine.
Cannot wait...but have to wait 2 weeks. WAs checking out Comet and realised it's gone I to admin.

Anyway, I'm going to be very happy very soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now