Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a Smeg range cooker? Good or bad?

(21 Posts)
RumBaaBaa Fri 02-Nov-12 15:15:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ceeveebee Fri 02-Nov-12 15:25:57

We have that cooker (or a very similar one). It's very good actually, heats quickly, has different functions like defrost and a super fast grill and a rotisserie which we've never used. Also I use the timer function a lot and find is very useful. It's good to have two ovens too, although the one on the right is quite small (too narrow for most of our tins).

We didn't buy new (was already in the house when we moved here) but the only issue we have is not enough shelves - there are 4 shelf fittings but only 2 shelves - I think you can buy more shelves but I've never got round to it

Overall I think it's a good oven and would recommend it

ISingSoprano Fri 02-Nov-12 15:30:16

I have an older version of that Smeg range. Mine is about 13years old. I have been very pleased with it. The small oven is quite narrow but is great for cooking a pudding while the roast is in the main oven!

ISingSoprano Fri 02-Nov-12 15:31:09

By the way, I cook a lot too and often do Sunday lunch for 15!

RumBaaBaa Fri 02-Nov-12 15:41:03

Blu Fri 02-Nov-12 15:46:36

I had a Smeg and I liked it a lot, but it did burn very hot. And then the thermostat went and the parst had to come from Italy and were expensive.

duletty Fri 02-Nov-12 15:55:13

we have this one.....here

Great big oven very good for all cooking

ceeveebee Fri 02-Nov-12 15:56:52

Really blu? Ours was very hot when we first moved here and we got it replaced by a smeg engineer for a pretty nominal fee iirc.

Rumbaabaa the main oven is 55cm wide and the side oven 33cm wide. The main oven fits a 'standard' oven tray but its no bigger than a normal single oven

I never use more than 4 hobs at once since I only have 4 pans!

Pagwatch Fri 02-Nov-12 16:09:49

Then I am possibly unlucky. I have had two and they were both shit. Utter shit. I would beat myself over the head with a heavy object before ever having another product from smeg in my kitchen.
I had a fridge too. Very pretty. Fell apart.

Blu Fri 02-Nov-12 17:30:26

I had to peer at the tiny model number located in some greasy recess and tell the engineer - some models take generic parts, some need a special Smeg only part from Italy.

RumBaaBaa Fri 02-Nov-12 17:41:24

Sparkleandshine78 Fri 02-Nov-12 17:49:40

brilliant cooker, but the element has gone twice in 9 years.

Pros - six burners, two ovens/grills (one small one large), works well, lots of (useful) functions... rotisserie was great but the attachment has now given up.

Cons - bit unreliable given it's expensive and the second oven is a bit narrow (hard to fit dishes in, I have to use special sizes to get them in, so you cant easily transfer stuff from one oven to the other)

I love it but wouldn't buy another one, I probably would get a Neff double oven and separate 6 burner hob as I know neff is more reliable.

RumBaaBaa Sat 03-Nov-12 11:16:02

trixymalixy Sat 03-Nov-12 11:21:14

I have the same one as Duletty. We've had it for 10 years plus, without issue. My only complaint is that the oven doesn't hear particularly evenly.

I also wish I'd got the double oven version rather than one big oven.

ISingSoprano Sat 03-Nov-12 11:25:34

Hmmm - conversely I wish I had one big oven rather than double ovens! I particularly love the six burner hob - it really comes into its own at Christmas.

EdsRedeemingQualities Sat 03-Nov-12 11:33:34

We have a very similar one but only two thirds of the size (60cm I think). I've had it for about 8 years and it's been very good - double electric oven (I never use the top one) and gas hob.

I had a few issues with the hob lighting at first but it seems fine now. Just a knack I think.

The oven is great, I really like it. And I like the cast iron top bits. Very solidly made all round.

Tuppenyrice Sat 03-Nov-12 11:35:39

I'm looking at the Kenwood and Hotpoint ones
They're cheaper but don't get slated like the Smeg ones grin

trixymalixy Sat 03-Nov-12 11:44:11

grin isingsoprano, maybe it's a case of the grass being greener!

I would have preferred a double oven so they can be at different temperatures. The turkey and other lower temp stuff in one and the roast potatoes at a higher temp in the other.

RumBaaBaa Sat 03-Nov-12 15:42:34

reastie Mon 05-Nov-12 14:51:46

Reading with interest as we are getting the kitchen redone next year and choosing between rangemaster of smeg. We have a neff oven at present but haven't been pleased with it at all - have to cook everything on 200 - 240 no matter what it should be on as any colder and it won't cook properly and always takes even on that heat at least 5 minutes longer than it should. Our last neff oven was the same too. Not a patch on my amazing cannon double oven (which was cheaper comparably) .

motheroftwoboys Mon 05-Nov-12 16:55:29

We had an Aga and got a Smeg when we moved. I think it is the A2-8. Has 6 rings, 2 ovens, one largish one smallish. I cook a lot and I really like it but could have done with the big oven being a bit bigger. I find it difficult to keep the oven glass clean - but tht is probably my fault not the ovens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now