Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how do clean cat wee out of carpet?

(8 Posts)
BooyhooRemembering Thu 01-Nov-12 12:37:10

as in title really. cat weed on my bedroom carpet, how do i clean it?

White vinegar - the cheap stuff. Be fairly liberal with it. Your room will smell like a chippy for a few hours, but it does clear pretty quickly, and kills the cat-wee smell.

I used to have to do this all the time when our elderly (now long deceased) cat started weeing in the house.

BooyhooRemembering Thu 01-Nov-12 12:42:12

do i use just white vinegar? no soaps or anything? do i put the vinegar on the blott it off or rinse it off with water?

Beamur Thu 01-Nov-12 12:43:42

Don't use disinfectant though or anything that contains ammonia as this will encourage the cat to wee again in the same spot.
Get your cat checked for a urinary tract infection maybe? Sometimes the case when a previously clean cat starts weeing in the house.

BooyhooRemembering Thu 01-Nov-12 12:48:39

oh i dont think she has an infection. she is currently recuperating from an operation to have her tail amputated and i'm keeping her in my room, i think she thought she was totally in the litter tray (she's not used to having to go in a tray) but obviously her rear end was hanging off the edge as it has gone on the floor. i've put plastic sheet on the floor under the tray now to prevent it happening again.

Just white vinegar. Pour it on and leave it - you need to let it soak in, because the cat wee will have soaked in too. It sounds mad, I know - but it honestly works.

BooyhooRemembering Thu 01-Nov-12 12:51:15

ok thanks SDTG i'll give it a whirl.

Beamur Fri 02-Nov-12 15:40:13

Poor kitty. Hope she recovers soon.
My old cat ALWAYS did that, she almost never managed to get her business in the tray but would laboriously scoop the litter out of the corner, stand in the hole, poo over the side and then stand and look at it with a most confused look on her face. She would then spend several minutes scraping the side of the tray with her paw and occasionally look at the poo still sitting there, scrape a bit more and finally give up grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now