Talk

Advanced search

Beds with storage

(13 Posts)
Littlemissimpatient Wed 31-Oct-12 10:53:23

I'm really struggling to find a nice bed with storage under.
We need a new bed and very short of storage space so thought I could combine the two, and either use it for spare bedding etc, or for winter jumpers in summer. I've actually never bought a bed as we are using DHs from when he lived with parents so not sure where to look and how much to expect to pay. Any ideas or recommendations?

FreshWest Wed 31-Oct-12 11:06:31

We have this one from Dreams. You can store so much under it especially if you use vacuum bags for spare duvets, pillows etc
We used the mattress we already had but if you need to change your mattress don't forget to factor in that cost too.
I'm not too keen on bedsteads with the storage boxes underneath that you can see, with this bed once the bed part is down then it just looks like a normal bed. Hides a multitude of sins grin

Littlemissimpatient Wed 31-Oct-12 11:16:56

Fab thank you.
Yes DH doesn't like under the bed to look messy so it would have to be inbuilt storage drawers rather than drawers under the bed iykwim.
It's a bit of a minefield and I want one that's going to last without costing a fortune!

FreshWest Wed 31-Oct-12 11:27:55

I agree, we gutted the whole bedroom a couple of years back and were struggling to decide what type of bed to get. Then this one was on an advert and DH and I both just said "that's the bed we need!".
The guys from the shop came and assembled the whole thing and as far as I recall there is a guarantee for all the 'working parts' and mechanism for lifting the bed part. (look at the second pic and you'll see what I mean!)

Littlemissimpatient Wed 31-Oct-12 12:35:10

It's looks perfect. How easy is it to lift the base, to access the storage, when you have mattress and bedding on?

FreshWest Wed 31-Oct-12 14:01:56

Very easy. There is a handle that you yank and then the mechanism kicks in so lifts it. Getting it down is slightly more difficult for me (only 5'4" and don't weigh much!) though the mechanism helps bring it down again but DH has no trouble and I work it by standing on the base of the bed and jumping down with it! DH finds it highly amusing.
If you have a Dreams shop near you then go and have a go!

Mrsrobertduvallsaysboo Wed 31-Oct-12 14:04:04

We have that o e too, but with a wooden headboard.
It's fab..loads of space, easy to lift.
Very compact, looks good.

Princesspond Wed 31-Oct-12 23:58:49

We got one earlier this year, I was a bit reluctant to get an upholstered 'divan' style bed, as we had always had a metal bed but underneath always looked messy. The ottoman bed is just fab, lift it up and you can hide all sorts underneath. I don't let the children see me lift it, so all the Xmas presents are stashed there. The bedroom looks so much neater, also as we went for q a low white one we could upgrade to a super kingsize and it isn't imposing. You can get really nice ones that are all in oak.

Millais Mon 05-Nov-12 15:12:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BellaTheGymnast Mon 05-Nov-12 16:25:41

Ikea do a v plain lift up ottoman bed, it's upholstered in cream cotton so it doesn't quite look finished to me, but at least it'll go with anything.

FreshWest Mon 05-Nov-12 22:01:54

Hi Millais' no it comes in pieces. We paid extra (can't remember how much sorry) for the Dreams guys to put it together too due to the mechanics of the ottoman part.

Millais Tue 06-Nov-12 07:03:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wonkylegs Tue 06-Nov-12 07:22:45

If you want something more traditional we have this one in our spare room m.featherandblack.com/Beds/Wooden-Beds/Marblehead-Storage-Bed.ice
it's a beautiful bed and it goes with all our oak furniture.
We store all the houses spare bed linen in the drawers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now