Talk

Advanced search

How to creat a 'grown up' bedroom.

(8 Posts)
mumat39 Tue 30-Oct-12 12:24:31

We have just moved room as our dc needed a bigger. So we no longer have the yellow curtains that we inherited when we bought our house.

We don't have curtains in our new room, so am thinking I would like to get some blinds.

The walls are a very pale yellow, jasmine white from deluxe. We have a white fabric headboard, white wardrobes, a laminate floor and dark wood bedside tables which I might paint white one day.

We have a couple of duvet cover sets that need replacing, so how do I achieve a grown up, pulled together look, but without making it all seem too bland.

Also what colour blinds should we go for? I think I'd prefer blinds to curtains.

I have looked at pictures on line, but don't quite know how to get the look without spending too much.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mumat39 Tue 30-Oct-12 20:54:39

Sorry, that should read create. blush

educatingarti Tue 30-Oct-12 21:20:02

Choose 2 or 3 pictures you really like the look of on-line. try and analyse what it is that you really like ( natural tones and materials, fresh and light look etc)
then try and decide what the key items are that work for that look.

Then look in Wilkinsons. Matalan and Dunelm Mill for similar items that are fairly inexpensive!

Alternatively choose a curtain fabric you really like and that goes with the white/jasmine white. Dunelm have loads of fabric and readymades. Go and have a browse if you live near one!

Then build up accessories that work with the curtains!

GoldPlatedNineDoors Tue 30-Oct-12 21:24:03

Plain white bed linen. A throw at the bottom.of the bed. For an even more grown up look fold a thick cotton or satin thicker throw on the bottom of the bed and then a soft woolen throw folded on top of that.

Matching bedside lamps.

Small square cushions, better still and smaller square one infront of a larger square on in each side.

Buy a big wicker hamper (Matalan have a set of two large sturdy ones that sit nicely on top of one another for £40), to stash bed linen etc.

mumat39 Tue 30-Oct-12 23:01:39

Thanks for your replies.

Educatingarti, I've been looking at photos on various websites but get stuck with what to do next, so thnks for your tips about what to do next.

GoldPlatedNineDoors, do you think white is the way to go? Our headboard, is actually white and I wasn't sure about it being of white, if that makes sense? Also what colour for the throws and cushions? Wuld you match the colour of those? I quite like teal and taupe, but DP isn't so keen, so would you recommend any particular ones? Also do I need to do different textures for the cushions?

And are the wicker baskets for storing bedding, or for putting all the stuff on the bed overnight? Thanks for your help. That's just what I need, some instructions I can follow.

I have been looking at some bright striped duvet covers from ikea, but not sure if they might be less calming.

mumat39 Wed 31-Oct-12 00:26:27

That should read, I wasn't sure about it being too white, not of white. Sorry.

echt Wed 31-Oct-12 09:06:23

If you're looking for calm, re-think blinds. You'll get better sleep with curtains which block out the light and noise.

paneer Wed 31-Oct-12 12:16:18

I have blinds. Hate them and getting rid of them for curtains with blackout.

Hard to clean them and hard to clean the top of the windows. In the Summer you wake up when the sun comes up and starts burning my eyes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now