Talk

Advanced search

Ikea duvets and covers.

(15 Posts)
mumat39 Tue 30-Oct-12 11:33:05

Hi there.
I need to replace most of our bedding and have seen that Ikea do 100% cotton covers for quite reasonable prices. I need a king size for us, a single and a double for the dc. The duvets need to be

I already have a duvet cover from ikea which is about 5 years old but our standard duvet doesn't fit in it and the flapping edges annoy the hell out of me.

Our duvets also needs replacing too, so if I get them from ikea, will they fit the Ikea covers well? Or am I better off getting both duvets and covers from somewhere else? The duvets need to be hypoallergenic and washable at home.

Are ikea covers and duvets worth it?

Also, has anyone tried the lycocel 365+ Mysa duvets? We have hollow fibre ones at the moment and I was hoping to go for something more breathable and from what I can see the lycocel one might be a good option as due to allergies, the down or feather ones are not an option?

Many thanks for any advice or thoughts.

Inneedofbrandy Tue 30-Oct-12 11:36:33

There pillows are great IMO but I wouldn't buy a duvet or covers unless you only have ikea covers for as long as you keep duvet for. I love buying covers and have loads of bed sets so wouldn't work for me, depends if your happy just with their selection.

TodaysAGhoulDay Tue 30-Oct-12 11:38:17

Oh, the flapping ends will drive me mad! What I've ended up doing is buying an Ikea duvet which is 10cm longer than standard duvets, and then buying standard duvet covers, which are 10cm shorter than the duvet. It sounds like they won't fit, but they do, trust me. A solution that works really well, no more flapping ends!

WitchesTit Tue 30-Oct-12 11:47:14

I always wondered about this. So ikea duvets covers are longer than anywhere else!

I thought I was just putting them on wrong, and I'd just shake them til it all sort of evened out. Thanks for putting me right! I love ikea bedding, the colours stay true for ever but I'll definitely be buying their duvets from now on, especially if you get an extra 10cm....is that just length or width too?

MousyMouse Tue 30-Oct-12 11:50:52

their duvet are good, too.
keep really well, are washable, available in all sorts of fillings.

TodaysAGhoulDay Tue 30-Oct-12 11:58:06

It's just the length I think. If you buy standard covers then the duvet always fills the cover, so no more flat ends without duvet in them. Or, if you're any good with a sewing machine, just turn the ikea cover inside out, and sew across the bottom, taking off 10cm, so the duvet is nice and snug inside.

mumat39 Tue 30-Oct-12 12:29:33

Hi there. Thanks for your replies. smile

TodaysaGhoulDay, do you know if the cover sizes have changed? We have an m&s king size duvet at the moment, and the equivalent sized Ikea duvet cover, but the cover seems to be about 10 cms too big on the width and the length so flaps all over the place.

TodaysAGhoulDay Wed 31-Oct-12 23:46:09

I have a single bed, with a single quilt. Standard single quilt covers are 135cm x 190cm, ikea ones are 150cm x 200cm. (I've been measuring today). Sorry, can't help with the king-size one though.

HazeltheMcWitch Thu 01-Nov-12 01:01:35

Isn't the flappy bit for tucking in at the bottom of the bed? To prevent cold feet?

mumat39 Thu 01-Nov-12 12:02:39

thanks again Todays.

Hazel, I hadn't even thought of that, but have seen it when we've stayed at a nice B&B years ago.

mumat39 Thu 01-Nov-12 13:56:27

I think I'm going to get them from Ikea.

I will air them over the banister for a couple of days before using them but do new duvets need washing before using for the first time?

I'm going to get the lycocel/polyester filled ones which are machine washable from what I can tell online.

Many Thanks again

mumat39 Thu 01-Nov-12 13:57:15

I should say I always wash bed sheets before using them for the first time, just not sure about duvets though.

MousyMouse Thu 01-Nov-12 14:03:21

I only air new duvets before using.
only wash when needed or after hayfever season is over for us.

mumat39 Thu 01-Nov-12 15:26:44

Brilliant MousyMouse. That sounds like a good plan.

mumat39 Thu 01-Nov-12 15:27:19

Mousy, I forgot to say Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now